T-58 Yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

T-58 Yeast?

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Anyone ever use T-58 yeast? It is a dry ale yeast described as peppery and am thinking it might compliment rye.
kiwistiller
retired

Re: T-58 Yeast?

Post by kiwistiller »

I've used it before in a rum. It is indeed fairly peppery. I didn't get that great an attenuation on it, and it doesn't like to flocculate very much (if you care about such things). The rum was OK I guess but far from my best. It suited the temps I had going in my garage at the time though. I've used it more for beer, based on experience with that I'd ferment it in the cooler side of the range for a whisky to avoid overpowering the spirit with phenols.
Three sheets to the wind!
My stuff
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

Thanks Kiwistiller. I used it in combo with saved whiskey AG and ec-1118 and the wash has more trub than I am used to. Can type of yeast influence amount of trub?
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

sure. A less flocculent yeast will settle out less, and also pack a bit looser. an agressive healthy yeast will also divide more and you'll end up with a thicker yeast cake. Doesn't ec1118 have a bit of a killer factor? it might not play that well with others.
My stuff
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

I think ec-1118 will take over but it was an experiment. The rye mash I tried (but have not distilled yet) definately has more trub than my old standby bourbon recipe. I screwed up the stepped rests so that could play a role too. Smells great however. I saved some as a starter and will apply proper rests to the next wash so we'll see if there is a difference.
Steep-n-Rocky
Swill Maker

Post by Steep-n-Rocky »

I think ec-1118 will take over but it was an experiment. The rye mash I tried (but have not distilled yet) definately has more trub than my old standby bourbon recipe. I screwed up the stepped rests so that could play a role too. Smells great however. I saved some as a starter and will apply proper rests to the next wash so we'll see if there is a difference.
kiwistiller
retired

Post by kiwistiller »

could be the protein in the rye?
My stuff