Max alcohol possible from baking yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fahdoul
Bootlegger

Max alcohol possible from baking yeast?

Post by fahdoul »

Anyone know what the maximum alcohol wash one can make using bakers least? I've been making a 1 lb per gallon recipe, the one with tomato past, molasses and lemon, which is supposed to yield 8-9% but I have seen references elsewhere to people getting 10-12 from bakers yeast, or even more, and wouldn't mind doing so myself.

Are there any tricks to getting higher alcohol levels? Adding sugar in stages, etc?
Swag
Swill Maker

Re: Max alcohol possible from baking yeast?

Post by Swag »

Anyone know what the maximum alcohol wash one can make using bakers least? I've been making a 1 lb per gallon recipe, the one with tomato past, molasses and lemon, which is supposed to yield 8-9% but I have seen references elsewhere to people getting 10-12 from bakers yeast, or even more, and wouldn't mind doing so myself.

Are there any tricks to getting higher alcohol levels? Adding sugar in stages, etc?
I think the trick would be to use a higher alcohol tolerant yeast. Try some distillers yeast or EC1118.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I get between 12-14%abv consistantly with red star's active dry bakers yeast.

No special tricks, just keeping a steady temp, and leaving it alone till its done.

How long are you letting it ferment? How much yeast are you using? What is your recipe?
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
fahdoul
Bootlegger

Post by fahdoul »

Been letting it ferment as long as it wants! A week or two.

I'm new at this which is why I am playing around with bakers yeast - the nearest homebrew shop is 50 miles away. And then, of course, using anything else would just about DOUBLE my cost per liter .

I'm using Bokabobs supermarket wash, which seems to be a fairly generic easy no frills mix.

Just thought it would be fun, as a frugal person, to see if there was anyway to squeeze a few more % from the bakers yeast. I've read a few posts which suggest adding the sugar mix a bit at a time, and wondered if there were an any tricks like that I ought to be trying.
pothead
Rumrunner

Post by pothead »

I think possom has had good luck with adding sugar in different stages.

I have just boiled the sugar in just enough water to melt it, added 1 6oz can of tomato paste(while still boiling to make sure it disolves too), a couple squirts of lemon juice, and then top it up to 5 gallons with water cool enough to take the temp down to about 70-75 or so. Then I try to hold the temp there the WHOLE fermentation. Insulating your fermenter works great . Most of my washes like this have gotten up to 14%, and taken about 3-4 weeks.
"Be nice to America, or we'll bring democracy to your country."
"The best things in life aren't things."

"Imagination is more important than Knowledge"-Albert Einstein
possum
Distiller

Post by possum »

Having a good constant temp helps. Things are warming up around here now, but I had trouble this winter, I had to give my fermenters a warm bath. If stuff gets too cold, the yeast goes dormant...and I dont use lager yeast. I found some crosby distillers yeast for @ $6 US, and the label says 1000galons can be fermented with 1lb. That stuff is real good, 20-22% abv if I stage the sugar. :D
Hey guys!!! Watch this.... OUCH!
fahdoul
Bootlegger

Post by fahdoul »

I've got to do my fermenting in the basement, which stays pretty cool. So I got my buckets up on a milk crate, with a lightbulb underneath, and covered them, and found they stay constant at about 68 with a 60W bulb and 76 with a 100W, which seems to keep the yeast really happy.

My first batch which was sugared for 10% is down to 1.010 and still bubbling along. Got to go away for a week so I'll throw another pound of sugar in before I go, just for fun.