Gert Strand 8kg Turbo

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Ad libitum
Novice

Gert Strand 8kg Turbo

Post by Ad libitum »

This is the first time I have used this product and have followed the directions to the letter.Its now 12 days from the start and its been at an ambient temp of 20-24c,there was some but no violent activity for 5 days,this has now ceased but there is no sign of it clearing.I understand that the instructions for these Turbo products are somewhat optimistic in the length of time to complete the process but should I now use a clearing agent ? I have not tested the ABV but the wash has a pleasant sweet smell.Any help from this excellent forum would be much appreciated. :D
l've decided l'm going to live forever,so far, so good !!
Swag
Swill Maker

Post by Swag »

I have never waited for a turbo to clear although some here do. I would just run it. Siphon off the wash into your boiler, so you don't get the lees in with it, and you're off to the races.
What kind of a still are you running?
Ad libitum
Novice

Post by Ad libitum »

Thanks Swag for the quick reply,I'm experimenting with the small 4 litre EasyStill which I know will make you all laugh but in a country where your not even allowed to carry a penknife without being put in prison is pretty daring !!
TheGinz
Novice

Post by TheGinz »

The EasyStill is nt bad I guess, but I can never understand why anyone would ever spend $300+ on something like that when they can get a real still for just as much. I don't know of anywhere that is so strict that having a regular still will put you in the way of the law. Not anymore. In fact, I would bet that not too many people in LE would even recognize a still even if they cared.
Still Spirits Super Reflux Still
25 litres
110 volts 60 cycles 1,380 watts
Construction Body: Stainless Steel
head: Enamel copper
Used in pot still configurgation
Aidas
Rumrunner

Post by Aidas »

I can understand it. I bought it as my first still for two main reasons -- Ease of use, and paranoia. When something is shipped as a water distiller, and looks like a legitimate water distiller, you feel better about getting it via public mail or DHL. You imagine that the govt isn't going to get a bead on you... You pay for peace of mind -- that's a product too.

Later, when you realise that the govt. really doesn't care, so long as you're not making serious quantity and selling it, you start thinking about getting a bigger still. Then I bought a copper alembic, which I still have to learn how to use to its full potential.

I still use the Easy still, and I'm happy with it. It's great for experimenting.

As to the question -- with an easy still, you really don't need to clear the wash, as nothing is going to burn (unless you plug it in and forget about it). Your run will take about 3 - 3.5 hours from plugging it in until your products is low wines that you don't want to keep.

Aidas
Ad libitum
Novice

Post by Ad libitum »

Thanks Aidas,if you dont wait for the wash to clear do you use activated carbon in the 500 mm tube as recommended ? I have always believed that the more clear the wash the less chance of unwanted aftertaste.Another point in favour of the EasyStill is you dont need constant running water with the resultant noise and waste.If you can give me any more guidelines I would be grateful. :D