Amount of yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

cornsqueezin
Novice

Amount of yeast

Post by cornsqueezin »

I usually ferment about a 5 gallon batch of mash when I do a run. I have always used bakers yeast because it is the easiest to get. Is it possible to use too much yeast in a 5 gallon bucket and have an off taste in the final product? I know that when I brew my beer the kits only come with a single pack of yeast for a 5 gallon batch of beer. The last time I ran a batch of mash I put 3 packs of fleishmans bakers yeast in with 5lbs of sugar. The final product had a funny bite to it. Just wandering if I am putting in too much yeast for the quantity I am making.
retlaw
Swill Maker

Re: Amount of yeast

Post by retlaw »

5% or less use 2 grams per gallon,
5 to 7% use 3 grams per gallon,
8 to 10% use 4 grams per gallon,

better yeast can take up to .35 kg of sugar per L of water,
mortal yeast won't,
keep it around .2 to .25 kg/L
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

For 5-6 gallon batches I use 2-3 tablespoons bread yeast. I can't see any problems with over pitching within reason. You typically just get a faster take off on the ferment. Of course, follow good processes with racking and oxygenation and nutrients.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
alcodemon
Novice

Post by alcodemon »

I read this in 'The Compleat Distiller' book re bakers yeast.........

"Different strains of yeast also have very different temperature and alcohol tolerance levels. All yeast will die at some level of alcohol concentration, and this tolerance level drops as the temperature rises. Baking yeast, for example, dies off quite quickly when alcohol levels reach about 6–7 %, rendering it useless for making beverage alcohol. Most strains of Beer Yeast can tolerate 8-10% alcohol, though some can take more. Wine Yeast strains generally can ferment up to 14-15%, and a few can go as high as 20%. Adding large quantities of the wrong yeast will only make it reach its tolerance point faster, it will not result in a higher final alcohol concentration. There are hundreds of different strains of wine, beer and specialty yeast available from a large number of suppliers. Matching the strain to the desired product will greatly improve the success of your fermentations."

FYI
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

alcodemon wrote:I read this in 'The Compleat Distiller' book re bakers yeast.........

"Different strains of yeast also have very different temperature and alcohol tolerance levels. All yeast will die at some level of alcohol concentration, and this tolerance level drops as the temperature rises. Baking yeast, for example, dies off quite quickly when alcohol levels reach about 6–7 %, rendering it useless for making beverage alcohol. Most strains of Beer Yeast can tolerate 8-10% alcohol, though some can take more. Wine Yeast strains generally can ferment up to 14-15%, and a few can go as high as 20%. Adding large quantities of the wrong yeast will only make it reach its tolerance point faster, it will not result in a higher final alcohol concentration. There are hundreds of different strains of wine, beer and specialty yeast available from a large number of suppliers. Matching the strain to the desired product will greatly improve the success of your fermentations."

FYI
The bit about bakers yeast is inaccurate when compared to the real world experience based on practical application of home distillers... This just goes to show how one mans false opinion can taint the minds of the masses by putting piss poor beliefs into print which are not based on modern day facts... I regularly push Fleischmann's dry active bakers yeast to 14% and beyond without any problems, as do many other home distillers... While a decent read, I wouldn't consider The Compleat Distiller as a definitive guide but, rather, just one source of general information...
Durace11
Distiller

Post by Durace11 »

The book is also 8+ years old, the experience in the book may be quite a bit older. Yeast is something that is always improving and getting better, stronger, faster, and more tolerant. I'm sure the baker’s yeast isn't researched as heavily as the wine, beer and specialty yeast but it has probably improved over the past 10-20 years due to similar helpful innovations in yeast research.

Fully agree with Rad, baker's yeast in real life experience outperforms preconceived expectations. Actually, it's a perfect device to keep people in check. You should be shooting for 10-14% and it performs best in that range. If you keep that in mind when brewing your wash you won't get sucked into the "I have to hit 18-20% because that's what this super yeast will tolerate" mindset.
Current Evolution:
MrDistiller > 2" potstill > copper 4" perf 4 plate flute

"I seal the lid with Silly Putty, that's OK ain't it ?"
~ kekedog13

"Attach a vibrator to it and hang it upside down. Let it work"
~Mr. P
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

+1 on Rad and Durace11. Bakers yeast is my go to yeast. :thumbup:

As far as how much to use? By using more you are just going to shorten the lag time. This can be achieved by making a starter before hand. With a smaller amount of yeast. I have read many times around here that yes you van use to much to start with. And get off flavors from it. Although I can't say for sure as I have never pushed it. How much is to much? I would say anything over a tablespoon per gallon is a waste. But that is just my personal preference. Your mileage may vary.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

bakers yeast was fermented using a "sponge" some bakers still do this.
most "home bakers" dont want to wait a day to make bread so use "quick"yeast" and that is what you buy it stores for home made bread.
so yes "bakers" yeast has changed.
RevSpaminator
Swill Maker

Post by RevSpaminator »

The part about baker's yeast may be inaccurate but the most important statement is VERY true..
"Different strains of yeast also have very different temperature and alcohol tolerance levels."

Whatever strain of yeast you use, get to know how it behaves in your environment and the ingredients you are working with.
Snake Oil Whiskey And Miracle Elixir - It'll cure ya or kill ya.
Dnderhead
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Dnderhead »

one of the reasons so many have good luck with bakers yeast is .it was made for the "baking dummy" and is developed for a wide range of temperature.
it works from the refrigerator to the "top of stove"...much has its own nutrients called "bread improver's"
there is not enough nutrients for a ferment but gives a boost to the yeast.it also has rehydrating properties.
all this is "engineered" into the little pellets you see.