Triple distilled yeast sachet

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

erbachem
Novice

Triple distilled yeast sachet

Post by erbachem »

I was at the local home brew shop today and got to talking about a new triple distilled yeast mix that they are trialling at the moment. One thing that interested me was that the mix came with carbon that you add to straight to the wash.

I was wondering if anyone has either tried this yeast mix or whether anyone has tried adding carbon to the wash before.
ME
Hackers
Bootlegger

Post by Hackers »

The carbon is in there to get rid of the off flavours of the yeast. As you are in NZ it is not necessary to use such a yeast as it is quite legal to distill in this country. This yeast is designed to produce a high alcohol (20%) wash specifically for use in countries where distillation is illegal yet people want as high an alcohol content as possible without breaking the law :wink:
Never do tomorrow what you can do today because if you like what you do today you can do it AGAIN tomorrow!
edgunz
Novice

Post by edgunz »

when adding carbon to the wash how much should be used for 25L and is there a noticable difference in flavor when running thru a Reflux still?
dan_pilbara
Novice

Post by dan_pilbara »

I tried this triple distilled yeast and added the 2 part clearing agent as described, the wash turned out to be as clear as water and had no smell.

well i put it into my still and it foamed up the column, i put in the usual 5L which i don't have any trouble with when doing a plain sugar wash. i also tried cutting it more with water and putting less into the boiler but it still foamed up the column.

Any suggestions?
jb2815
Novice

Post by jb2815 »

Triple Distilled went well for me. It took a long time to ferment due to my cold garage. At the end I ran the turbo clear through it for about 24 hours. The wash was virtually clear with very little smell. Through my reflux still I got approx 4 litres at about 69%. (Usually 75% with classic)

I would say it comes out of the still with almost the same smell as Turbo classic distillate AFTER the classic has been through my carbon z-filter.

I diluted to about 45% and put this batch through my z-filter using essencia univeral peat. It took almost 24hrs for some reason! The end product had a very clean smell that I found hard to detect but my pregnant partner could smell easily. The only downfall was that it was ever so slightly clouded and not crystal clear as my usual attempts are with the other yeast. That and the 50% smaller yeild I get from Turbo classic and 8kg sugar.

If I can get it to clear then overall a good yeast if you want a quality neutral spirit.
cna8065
Novice

Re: Triple distilled yeast sachet

Post by cna8065 »

dan_pilbara
1. I find that if you use a few boiling stones (noisy as hell) and use distilling conditioner It helps a lot.
2. Another way to decrease the volatility is to add salt but i have only every done this to get really high % yields (works but i don't think its worth it).
3. I'm not sure why but i was also taught to adjust the ph of the water to 4.5. between 4 and 5 is good but 4.5 (before adding the yeast and carbon).
If the 1st idea didn't work try my third and if that doesnt help i would say your over filling it. maybe you didn't degas it enough when you added the clearing agents (but i doubt it).

jb2815
Hey i don't know if you care but a real cheap way to keep your fermentation at a perfect temp is to get a 25 watt fish tank heater and plop it in there.
Word to the wise though i would keep it in a slightly cold place the first day because if you get it up to temp and are using turbo yeast it can bake itself to death so i always sit in in the garage for the first day then in the closet so its more economical.
If your real hippy about plastics like me you might wanna read this next bit.
(i remove the plastic covers and use a wire hook from the top of my bucket to hold it up right. Then i take the plug of and work a glass tube over the wire and use food safe glue to seal it so your wash doesn't touch the plastic. word to the wise though i would keep it in a slightly cold place the first day because if you get it up to temp and are using turbo yeast it can bake itself to death so i always sit in in the garage for the first day then in the closet so its more economical.
rad14701
retired

Re: Triple distilled yeast sachet

Post by rad14701 »

cna8065, are you aware that this topic has been dormant for 7 years...??? Please don't ressurect zombie topics here in the forums... Besides, most here would advise against using turbo yeast and the associated carbon altogether... You can, and should, do better...

jb2815 was last seen here Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:38 am...
dan_pilbara was last seen here Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:09 pm...