Yeast question

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TownDrunk

Yeast question

Post by TownDrunk »

I have a question about some red star yeast that I got out of a biscuit kit I bought at the supermarket. And I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this.

I added the red star dry yeast out of it 2 days ago. There is very very little going on in my fermentor. Just some bubbling and fizzing noises. Hasn't even made my airlock bubbler burp once yet.

Is this yeast suitable for fermentation. I read somewhere that some yeasts don't even produce alcohol. The only reason I used the yeast out of the biscuit kit is because I made a batch of mash and then realized I didn't have any distillers yeast left. Also the yeast I collected off the last batch I did didn't seem to do much either when I put it in first and let it sit overnight. I have read that red star yeast is useable for our hobby but not much is happening with this wash. Usually when I sniff it I get choked up by all the CO2 but not this one.

The recipe I used was

20 cans of creamed corn in a can.
2 Gallons of distilled water
1 gallon of sour mash
1 gallon of backset

all aerated for about 4 hours.
Pitched the yeast at 70 degrees F

Same thing I have been doing for the last 2 batches. Worked great but I used the distillers yeast.

well any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
duds2u
Swill Maker

Post by duds2u »

If it's making bubbling and fizzing noises then it s fermenting. Check your fermenter seal.
Cheers
Mal T.
TownDrunk

Post by TownDrunk »

Yep the fermentor is airtight. I did a flame test around the whole thing. Not once did the flame on my lighter act like it would during a breeze. I did it very slowly and it didn't move, dance, or get blown out once.

Like I said before. This has worked everytime fermenting everytime. The Co2 woul choke me up when I sniff if. airlock goes like a jack hammer. The only thing I did different was use the red star yeast out of a bisuit making kit instead of the usual wd distilling yeast. The yeast I tried to farm from the previous batches didn't do anything.