What would be some alternative sources for Amylase?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

dec3223
Novice

Re: What would be some alternative sources for Amylase?

Post by dec3223 »

Haven’t tried them yet but have seen YouTube’s in them and they look great. You would need two SebStar HTL and Glucoses amylase
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

Good read guys. I have a bit of a different question. How much red sweet potato do you think it would take to convert the starches in 4kg of corn meal? I'm puzzled about this. I read they use them to make amalayse extract anyone have any idea of the quantity per weight?
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

I'm also confused about buying amalayse. Can you buy beta amalayse... I have never seen it... And I thought it was required for a mash to work properly.
Siva283
Novice

Post by Siva283 »

Brewfiend wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:58 pm I'm also confused about buying amalayse. Can you buy beta amalayse... I have never seen it... And I thought it was required for a mash to work properly.
Search Glucoamalayse or glucoamdaise something like that. That is what people are refering to by beta amalayse
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

Siva283 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 9:52 am
Brewfiend wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 11:58 pm I'm also confused about buying amalayse. Can you buy beta amalayse... I have never seen it... And I thought it was required for a mash to work properly.
Search Glucoamalayse or glucoamdaise something like that. That is what people are refering to by beta amalayse
Ah cool thanks!
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

enzymes are required in a mash, but it's not always necessary to add bought enzymes.
most malted grains have their natural enzymes that are active in their particular temp range.
to save frustration and wasting grain & time (like i do :) ), it's always a good thing (ie another rabbit hole :econfused: ) to learn what is happening in a mash.
conversion, controlling viscosity, enzymatic power/DP of a grain bill, gel temps, enzyme de-naturing temps, PH control etc etc

both enzymes, along with several others, are available in most HBSs in packets or online in packets and liquid form.
a search of enzymes, where i buy, produces this little list :wtf:
https://beerco.com.au/search?options%5B ... t&q=enzyme
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

howie wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 7:53 pm
enzymes are required in a mash, but it's not always necessary to add bought enzymes.
most malted grains have their natural enzymes that are active in their particular temp range.
to save frustration and wasting grain & time (like i do :) ), it's always a good thing (ie another rabbit hole :econfused: ) to learn what is happening in a mash.
conversion, controlling viscosity, enzymatic power/DP of a grain bill, gel temps, enzyme de-naturing temps, PH control etc etc

both enzymes, along with several others, are available in most HBSs in packets or online in packets and liquid form.
Ive just been sampling some of the malted grains at the brew shop. Some amazing flavors and aromas. Is there a chart for working out how much enzyme you have in malted grains?
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

I was going to try malting some corn as well in my oven
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Brewfiend wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:01 pm

Ive just been sampling some of the malted grains at the brew shop. Some amazing flavors and aromas. Is there a chart for working out how much enzyme you have in malted grains?
there's this chart.
the exact DP (usually in Lintner) should be recorded by every grain producer for their batches, but i don't think it varies much from season to season.
https://www.topdownbrew.com/diastaticPower.html
you can use a free app like Brewfather to get an idea of a grain bills DP, or look up the supplier to find the DP of their grain.
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

OK will try the app. Thanks for the help.
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

howie wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 1:20 am
Brewfiend wrote: Mon May 22, 2023 10:01 pm

there's this chart.
the exact DP (usually in Lintner) should be recorded by every grain producer for their batches, but i don't think it varies much from season to season.
https://www.topdownbrew.com/diastaticPower.html
you can use a free app like Brewfather to get an idea of a grain bills DP, or look up the supplier to find the DP of their grain.
Head is spinning a little about all the different enzymes and which ones are needed
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

the main enzymes are alpha-amylase & b-amylase(glucoamylase)
have a look at the Beersmith site, plenty of good info/articles there...
https://beersmith.com/blog/2020/03/17/e ... r-brewing/
then you'll understand things like why some folk use a liquid high temp alpha amylase (that can operate at 90°C) to gel corn at 90°C, and have a soup-like mash instead of a thick pudding.
more reading :)
Brewfiend
Bootlegger

Post by Brewfiend »

howie wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 8:17 am the main enzymes are alpha-amylase & b-amylase(glucoamylase)
have a look at the Beersmith site, plenty of good info/articles there...
https://beersmith.com/blog/2020/03/17/e ... r-brewing/
then you'll understand things like why some folk use a liquid high temp alpha amylase (that can operate at 90°C) to gel corn at 90°C, and have a soup-like mash instead of a thick pudding.
more reading :)
COOL!