What would be some alternative sources for Amylase?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Superking
Novice

What would be some alternative sources for Amylase?

Post by Superking »

Other than spit!

There isn't a home brew shop within 50 miles of where I live so I am forced to look for alternative sources. Would there be anything I could purchase at a grocery store, a Walmart, or grow myself that I could possibly use as a source?

Someone once told me certain fruit seeds contained it and could be used, but they might have been confused or an idiot.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

sweet potato, aspergillus niger mold, and malt are the extent of the sources for amylase. I have ued them all and malt is my favorite. A good bries 6 row will do you good.
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

So a sweet potato mix doesn't need any additional enzymes?
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
pintoshine
Distiller

Post by pintoshine »

it is true. As long as the temp doesn't exceed 154 a sweet potato will convert itself to sugar that is fermentable. It is the standard for high school chemistry and life science to use sweet potato for it'[s amylase instead of spit.
Superking
Novice

Post by Superking »

pintoshine wrote:sweet potato, aspergillus niger mold, and malt are the extent of the sources for amylase. I have ued them all and malt is my favorite. A good bries 6 row will do you good.
Sweet potatoes. That's interesting. Is there anything special that needs to be done with them, or just the normal enzyme procedure?
HookLine
retired

Post by HookLine »

pintoshine wrote:it is true. As long as the temp doesn't exceed 154 a sweet potato will convert itself to sugar that is fermentable. It is the standard for high school chemistry and life science to use sweet potato for it'[s amylase instead of spit.
Very useful info. Thanks for that. I live in a rural area where sweet potatoes grow all year round and are real cheap.
Be safe.
Be discreet.
And have fun.
dixiedrifter
Swill Maker

Post by dixiedrifter »

http://www.milehidistilling.com onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

They have it one pound bags for around $17 each. Supposedly enough to do 1000 pounds of corn.
rangaz
Swill Maker

Post by rangaz »

so no access to grain either? 50 miles, about 75km? is not really that far you buy on bulk. I drive 290km frequently to help out at the farm with a side agenda of improving my distillation capabilities with all the tools there.

If theres any grain around, amylase is no problem, otherwise brewstore, a few tubers,i think saliva and various moulds have it
TDick
Distiller

Re:

Post by TDick »

pintoshine wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:05 pm it is true. As long as the temp doesn't exceed 154 a sweet potato will convert itself to sugar that is fermentable. It is the standard for high school chemistry and life science to use sweet potato for it'[s amylase instead of spit.
This is an OLD post and I know Sherman hasn’t been around for a while but wondering if anyone has done anything with sweet potatoes lately?
Any opinions?
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: What would be some alternative sources for Amylase?

Post by BoomTown »

Sorry that my access seems limited to only postings less than 1 year, so I’m limited in my ability to retrieve data posted before that, which leads me to ask anyone who can relay that profile relating Sweet Potatoes to enzymes.

Thank you in advance

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Sazerac
Novice

Post by Sazerac »

BoomTown wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 8:08 am Sorry that my access seems limited to only postings less than 1 year, so I’m limited in my ability to retrieve data posted before that, which leads me to ask anyone who can relay that profile relating Sweet Potatoes to enzymes.

Thank you in advance

Boom
The best discussion I've seen on sweet potatoes was by homebrewers, see https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/sw ... es.210086/

I would be interested to hear if anyone actually tries a spirit done like this.
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

I'd just get your enzymes at Mile Hi. For the price, simplicity, convenience, ease of storage, I can't think of any good reason to use an alternative unless you just want to.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I use these and they work great -

https://enzymash.biz/index.php?route=pr ... ry&path=33

Cheers,
jb
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Drunkard
Novice

Re: Re:

Post by Drunkard »

TDick wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:11 am
pintoshine wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:05 pm it is true. As long as the temp doesn't exceed 154 a sweet potato will convert itself to sugar that is fermentable. It is the standard for high school chemistry and life science to use sweet potato for it'[s amylase instead of spit.
This is an OLD post and I know Sherman hasn’t been around for a while but wondering if anyone has done anything with sweet potatoes lately?
Any opinions?
YouTuber George from "barley and hops brewing" did a series on using sweet potatoes....

https://www.youtube.com/c/BarleyandHopsBrewing
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

There might be some usable info here

https://shareok.org/bitstream/handle/11 ... sequence=1

From the little I've read tonight
It would appear sweet potato's have lot's of beta amylase but not much alpha.
I found were sweet taters and sorghum grain are often used together
because the sorghum has alpha but is short on beta amylase.
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Drunkard wrote: Sat Oct 10, 2020 6:51 pm
YouTuber George from "barley and hops brewing" did a series on using sweet potatoes....

Hey Drunkard,

Just a heads-up that a lot of people in this forum dislike George very, very strongly. Have a read through the threads and you'll soon find out why.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I had to look, maybe George had a usable sweet potato recipe.
Alas, it wasn't to be, he used to much heat and denatured the enzymes before they time to finish the job :(
Drunkard
Novice

Post by Drunkard »

MartinCash wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:19 pm

Hey Drunkard,

Just a heads-up that a lot of people in this forum dislike George very, very strongly. Have a read through the threads and you'll soon find out why.
Fair enough.

I've always had in the back of my mind that something wasn't right with George...

Got some threads to point me to, so I can have a bit of a read as to others thoughts on the "George"? PM me if you like to keep this topic on...

I'm still curious in where to buy Alpha and beta/gluco amylase...

Here in Australia it's stupid expensive to import...
Particularly in Western Australia with all their biosecurity nonsense... It's nearly impossible to get things shipped even from the east coast...
NineInchNails

Post by NineInchNails »

Drunkard wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:28 am

Hey Drunkard,

Fair enough.

I've always had in the back of my mind that something wasn't right with George...

Got some threads to point me to, so I can have a bit of a read as to others thoughts on the "George"? PM me if you like to keep this topic on...

Particularly in Western Australia with all their biosecurity nonsense... It's nearly impossible to get things shipped even from the east coast...
Mile Hi and Brewhaus sells it. jonnys_spirit listed a link to liquid enzymes. I haven't done a cost analysis to see which is cheaper for the amount of grain/starch it converts. There's a topic here that claims that Mile Hi's enzymes are significantly higher temp tolerant.

George does a lot of dumb stuff like using a PID to control his still and tries to justify why he does it. He sells PIDs too. That spreads a LOT of disinformation and if you glance through the 'Related Electric Accessories' section and others, there's usually a lot of PID inquiries for this reason. In his videos I once heard him say that he will never try making Sweetfeed Whiskey because it wouldn't work because contains pelletized feed which is only true if you buy the wrong stuff or don't mix your own grains. He's just not that knowledgeable. There's too long of a list and too many topics to link to.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Drunkard wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:28 am

Hey Drunkard,

Fair enough.

Here I used the yeast "angel" in a traditional mash to make the most of its enzymes https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... 39&t=80521
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

I remember a youtube video where a high school science teacher was claiming banana peels contained analyze. A quick look on the interweb cornfirms this. I found no mention of using peels with grain however. Wouldn't be hard to confirm this with a couple of blackened peels and a handful of ground grain.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

v-child wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:05 am I remember a youtube video where a high school science teacher was claiming banana peels contained analyze. A quick look on the interweb cornfirms this. I found no mention of using peels with grain however. Wouldn't be hard to confirm this with a couple of blackened peels and a handful of ground grain.
That is true
That why green bananas turn ripe
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Duke,
Seems as if the distilled banana wash went well, cause he was pretty darned happy after a couple of shots.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

So toss the entire ripening banana in the stew. That's what I got out of that word salad. You?
MartinCash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MartinCash »

Try enzymash dot biz. The site is straight out of the 90s, which is hilarious, but it belongs to a former member here who was quite active once upon a time, and had a hard time (many say unjustifiably so) from law enforcement some time ago.
4'' SS modular CCVM on gas-fired 50L keg.
Drunkard
Novice

Post by Drunkard »

MartinCash wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:11 pm Try enzymash dot biz. The site is straight out of the 90s, which is hilarious, but it belongs to a former member here who was quite active once upon a time, and had a hard time (many say unjustifiably so) from law enforcement some time ago.
Unfortunately for me no international shipping...
Aitch1969
Novice

Post by Aitch1969 »

How about malting some of your own grain to get the ezimes
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I've been experimenting with cultivating Koji and Angel yeast lately as used quite extensively in Asian cultures for converting starches into sugars and breaking down proteins into amino's. Malting is another traditional western method to convert starches.

Cheers,
jonny
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
dec3223
Novice

Post by dec3223 »

SebAmyl GL Liquid Beta Amylase Enzyme - Moonshine/Corn Recipes
$7.49

EBAY