Which yeast and how much?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jaxom
Swill Maker

Which yeast and how much?

Post by Jaxom »

Getting down to the wire here building my converted keg. Now I wanna start thinking about which types of yeast to use. Note, I have two projects going here. The first is my pot still, will use mainly for rum making. Most of the recipies on the website mention using Lavin-EC-1118. Unless someone recommends something better for rum, I'll stick with that.

Now for a sugar wash, I was going to use the same yeast, but I hear sooo much about turbo's I thought maybe you all could give me a recomendation on those. Mind you, to do the wash for my keg I have to split it in half because I'm using two fermentator buckets. Each with 25L of wash.

I'm also a bit confused about the amount of sugar and yeast to use. I think maybe I might be getting confused on all this, but I understand that you can double the amount of yeast (100 grams for 25L) about a week after fermentation begins, you can add more yeast, therefore increasing the alcohol amount.

Jaxx
knuklehead
Rumrunner

Post by knuklehead »

Lavlin EC-1118 is awesome. I use it for Rum and I use turbo's for sugar. I think turbo's are all hype (and I am still buying them :roll: ). The nicest thing about turbo's is that there is nothing to it. They contain the nutrients, ph balance and yeast and the pack tells you how much sugar to add. Other then that, you can achieve the same speed of ferment with any yeast you just have to treat them right :wink: and add the nutrient and balance the ph for them. Adding more yeast a week into the ferment will not give you any more alcohol. The yeast turns the sugar to alcohol so adding more yeast into a wash that is almost fermented out does nothing for. I think what you must have read was about adding wash in stages to the fermenter in turn adding more sugar which will give you more alcohol. 100 grams of yeast, wow that sounds like a lot. What kind of yeast are you talking about? I ferment 20 liters of molasses wash with 2-5 gram packets of EC-1118 yeast cultured then pitched and it usually finishes for the most part in 3 days.
... I say God bless you, I don't say bless you ... I am not the Lord, I can't do that ...
Dane Cook
Jaxom
Swill Maker

Post by Jaxom »

Knukle,

You're just a fountain of information! Thanks soooo much for being patient with this newbie.

I really ment adding more sugar. I can't see any benifit of adding more yeast, it's breeding on it's own anyways.

The reason I'm intersted in turbo's, is I understand they can achieve a higher alcohol level once fermentation is done. That extra 2% would take the packed column size I'm planning over that 95% pure threshold. Or atleast that's what I'm shooting for.

So, let's say it's a week or two down the road, keg is done, pot is done, and I wanna place an order over at brewhaus.com. Which turbo would you recommend? I'll do as you say and follow the instructions on the packets. Untill I get some experience under my belt, then I'll play with adding more sugar at different stages of fermentation. I'll probly buy a bulk amount, so I wanna make sure I'm getting the good stuff.

tia,

Jaxx
nzbourbonhead
Novice

Post by nzbourbonhead »

I use and recomend turbo express 24 hour.. stillspirits I make a 25litre mash with 25kg of sugar and its finnished fermenting in three days at 26deg c I just have a loose lid on the fermenter no airlock. run an aquariaum heater inside it to keep it to temp
Hic hic Now where did I put my glass
Jaxom
Swill Maker

Post by Jaxom »

Mackerel,

What kind of rum are you making? Just curious. I was thinking making serveral different kinds. e.g. clear, spiced, coconut, 151, ect. Just located a whole sale supplyer where I can get molasses by the gallon! Yeah!!! :)

Jax
FLICK

Post by FLICK »

I'm a noob also.... I just went to my local brew shop, they recommended Alcotec 8 (8kg turbo, 5 day super yeast) ... all seems good except it took 10 days to get to 18.8% alcohol and finish fermenting, rather than the 5 they claim....
Yttrium
Swill Maker

Post by Yttrium »

I use Lalvin wine yeast, its been so long since I first pitched it that I forgot exactly what type it is. I've reused the same yeast about 10 times so far making a variety of washes(sugar, barley, corn/barley, sugar/pumkin, etc). I keep my wash fairly cold so it takes a while to ferment(sugar wash gets to ~8% in a week, 12% in three weeks).

Anyway, I'm a believer in spending money on more fermenters instead of yeast that work really fast.
The future is not set. There is no fate but what we make for ourselves. --John Conner