Fleischmann's Yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Fleischmann's Yeast

Post by Deerhunter »

Can I use Fleischmann's yeast for UJSM?
Sky Diving without a parachute is a once in a life time experience!
aceswired
Swill Maker

Re: Fleischmann's Yeast

Post by aceswired »

Why wouldn't you? It's yeast.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

I use it all the time for my rum, AG, and sugarheads. Some guys prefer using other yeast for AG's, but bakers has worked fine for me. I do switch to 1118 for fruits (brandy). May try an ale yeast for an AG just to see how much difference.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

I'll give it a shot. Read and heard a lot about "Redstar" but there isen't much on here concerning Flieschmann's. I'm still wet behind the ears so I guess it can't hurt. Have to start with something.
Deerhunter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deerhunter »

How about Red Star Dady? Is this also a good beginners yeast. There seams to be a lot of distillers yeasts out there. But noticed quite a few discussions on this brand. There was talk about this yeast producing a wash with a 20% ABV. If this is true, how do you stop a ferment from going over your goal of 10-14% ABV. I have read that you don't want your wash to be higher then this.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Deerhunter wrote:How about Red Star Dady? Is this also a good beginners yeast. There seams to be a lot of distillers yeasts out there. But noticed quite a few discussions on this brand. There was talk about this yeast producing a wash with a 20% ABV. If this is true, how do you stop a ferment from going over your goal of 10-14% ABV. I have read that you don't want your wash to be higher then this.
10-14% abv is more of what you would expect of a rum wash, which regular bread yeast works fine for. You want to keep between 8-9% for grains. The yeast will only work off the sugar that is available. Read up on specific gravity for a better understanding. If I start with an SG of 1.065, it has a potential for 8.5% abv approx.

Read through the link in my sig for new/novice and you'll find answers to your questions, even some you didn't know you had.
aceswired
Swill Maker

Post by aceswired »

You control it with the amount of fermentables. Yeast can't convert what isn't there.
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Fleishmann's is my go-to for rum. It prefer it by far over Red Star due to the flavors produced. I will not buy Red Star ever again. Red Star doesn't get "rummy" enough for me.
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Fleischmann's bread yeast (raised on molasses) for rum and sugar +1
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden