Sugarwash,beer-yeast,EC-1118

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

srs787
Bootlegger

Sugarwash,beer-yeast,EC-1118

Post by srs787 »

Months ago I was going to brew a heffweisen beer. Day 1 I pitched the yeast, White Labs WLP 320 into a starter. Later I have problems with my barley mill. Day 2 I am up at 6 AM, ready to roll. But the homebrew shop don't open till 10 AM. I decided to a sugarwash and pitch the beer-yeast to it. I started with 5.5 gal water 6.0 Ph. 8 lbs sugar, yeast nutrients to a SG of 1.066, room temp 75F. The beer yeast played out at 1.016, which is better than what I thought it would do. The wash is sitting on glass, with a airlock. 1 month passes, I need to run or dump. I rehydrated 2 packs EC-1118 and pitch into the wash. After about 1 week or so, bubbles started in the airlock and kept up for 2 weeks. The wash cleared much better than with the beer-yeast also. SG is 0.990. Today I run 5 gals in my potstill. I got 1 gal of 45% of some good tasting shine with very little burn. I thought to share this info on EC-1118. srs