PH of 3.8? WTF

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

PH of 3.8? WTF

Post by Hellnoh2o »

Ok, so going to put this out there. I have 10 gallons of wash that I put together with some back set of a previous wash. When I started it is was haulin ass but now it has stopped. I did add some Apple pie moonshine that tasted terrible to it maybe that's what caused it to nose dive. But it was in the beginning with everything else. Any ways guess from what I have been reading I need to add some baking soda to bring the ph back up right?
My wife calls me a stillhead......my thoughts are refined
StillLearning1
Trainee

Re: PH of 3.8? WTF

Post by StillLearning1 »

What was the SG/FG?

What type of wash did you make?

What was the alcohol content of the apple pie you added to it?
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

3.8 pH is normal after ferment starts. Your problem isint pH related
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

+1 on what StillLearning1 said. You added apple pie to a fermenting wash? How much....what alcohol content? At what point did you add it?
Hellnoh2o
Bootlegger

Post by Hellnoh2o »

I added the Apple pie at the beginning, this was not a well thought out action. It was about a gallon of 60 proof. My sg was 1.100 and when I taste it I can still taste the sugar and honey in it so I know there is work to be done. Going to bring up.the ph and start again I guess. I hate to throw out 10 gallons of potential
My wife calls me a stillhead......my thoughts are refined
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

I don't know much about much but my guess is there was too much alcohol for the yeast to handle.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

I don't think the ph is a show stopper. Would have been better to throw the apple pie in the boiler after your ferment was done. Not sure your best options.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

You could try splitting the batch and diluting it down a bit, or, some turbo yeast may ferment it out.

I didn't just suggest that did I?

Yep, it seems I did.
GrassHopper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by GrassHopper »

I agree with Jimbo. A PH of 3.8 is low, but not enough to kill your yeast. I have started many ferments at 4 and they finished. But, the fact remains that you have a stalled ferment if still sweet to taste. Which indicates it is not finished. Well, you have nothing to lose but go forward and try to get it to finish out or run it sweet.....which could cause problems with your still. So, add some calcium carbonate, I have used oyster shells (a bag from the feed store will last you forever). Quick lime (calcium oxide) or Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) works as well. I avoid sodium based bases, but that is just me. Others use it with success. I currently use postassium hydroxide. I would shoot for 4.5 and wait for something to start ( about 12 hrs) and if nothing then re-pitch the yeast. What is your current gravity? That will tell how far into the ferment you are.
InglisHill
Rumrunner

Post by InglisHill »

GrassHopper wrote:I agree with Jimbo. A PH of 3.8 is low, but not enough to kill your yeast. I have started many ferments at 4 and they finished. But, the fact remains that you have a stalled ferment if still sweet to taste. Which indicates it is not finished. Well, you have nothing to lose but go forward and try to get it to finish out or run it sweet.....which could cause problems with your still. So, add some calcium carbonate, I have used oyster shells (a bag from the feed store will last you forever). Quick lime (calcium oxide) or Hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide) works as well. I avoid sodium based bases, but that is just me. Others use it with success. I currently use postassium hydroxide. I would shoot for 4.5 and wait for something to start ( about 12 hrs) and if nothing then re-pitch the yeast. What is your current gravity? That will tell how far into the ferment you are.
1.10 he said just up there a bit :)
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

A pH of 3.8 is NOT low after fermentation is underway. 3.1 would be low be still survivable for yeasts. Mashes should be done at 5.2 to 5.6. But after you pitch yeast it will drop to 3.8-4.2 pretty quick. Thats perfectly normal. If youre heavy handed on the backset, or making a sour beer, it will ferment all the way down to 3.0. Sour beers are often 3.1-3.3 pH and they fermented out just fine.

Seems there's a LOT of confusion on here about how pH works throughout our process. Someone needs to write an education post on pH, please, maybe one of our chemists.

Hellno's problem is likely that he dumped a gallon of apple pie shine in with his ferment :crazy: But he also didnt say what his wash was. If a sugar wash it's gonna needs something for nutrient or it will stall.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Slides 6 and 15 are helpful. http://www.weyermann.de/downloads/pdf/W ... H_2010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Dont forget to defizz the test sample by shaking or whisking before measuring pH. The carbonic acid from the CO2 will hork up your reading.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Kegg_jam »

So I was wondering....

Supposing the ferment stopped because of the added alc or whatever. If the sweet ferment was stripped wouldn't the left over backset then be sweet and fermentable again if diluted and PH adjusted...?
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Kegg_jam wrote:So I was wondering....

Supposing the ferment stopped because of the added alc or whatever. If the sweet ferment was stripped wouldn't the left over backset then be sweet and fermentable again if diluted and PH adjusted...?

haha sure. :idea: And it would be inverted to glucose and fructose as well, which helps. Just be sure to aerate the hell out of it again, since boiling drives out all the O's
Brutal
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Brutal »

Whatever you do, GO EASY ON THE BAKING SODA. Go slow a little at a time and mix carefully. Give it time to work. DO NOT get aggressive or impatient when adding baking soda! You do and you're gonna need more than a mop. Don't ask how I know...

This wash started out with too high of a gravity. Adding in the apple pie on top of that means you brewed up a wash with a higher than normal potential abv. If that gets down to 1.00 that's 12.9% plus the alcohol from the Apple pie. The high % might have killed your yeast. If they do make it that high they will definitively burn up some nutrients.

I would try adding a starter of 1118, a couple handfuls of oyster shells, and some kind of good nutrient.
Steam injection rig http://tinyurl.com/kxmz8hy
All grain corn mash with steam injection and enzymes http://tinyurl.com/mp6zdt5
Inner tube condenser http://tinyurl.com/zkp3ps6