8% ABV in 6 hours

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 8% ABV in 6 hours

Post by greggn »

> People say dextrose runs are cleaner

Absolutely.

Given that dextrose is a monosaccharide, and readily/easily consumed by yeast, it can produce a perfectly transparent product. I often use it as an adjunct to my AG recipes because it provides a nice bump to ABV without coloring the flavor.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
Bagasso
Distiller

Post by Bagasso »

hoochlover wrote:Tried a dextrose run?
No, for the same reason I have not tried an all grain, both dextrose and barley are relatively expensive where I live.

The sugar whitening process usually uses sulphur dioxide and the amounts allowed to remain in finished products in some places seems to be above the international standards which might have something to do with my sugar wash experience not matching those of other members of HD.

Oh well, last night I ran the wash treated with copper, bentonite and AC and it tasted worse than the one just treated with copper from the other night.

I'm going to have to try treating the sugar water with copper before fermenting. Hope it doesn't kill the yeast.
hoochlover
Swill Maker

Post by hoochlover »

Bit surprised my brews are still going but their average temperature has only been 22C . The sugar brew is nearly done as it is only bubbling every few seconds now, looking at probably 6 days at 10g/litre yeast for 12.5% ABV at 22C. The dextrose run is closer to 15% and probably has 2 more days to go.
hoochlover
Swill Maker

Post by hoochlover »

I just finished stripping the 90l in two separate runs. The sugar and dextrose both smelt good to me, no sulfur or anything bad noticeable. Both tasted pretty clean too. I ran it through my SPP VM still because I found a better way to clean it and thought why not get something more pure.

I am running into problems with it though, first 45L run I was only getting ~75% output from a 12.5% wash. Second wash was 50% to 85% and it started at 15%. I am going to have to do some more tweaking with my setup but I did manage to get my 3" column filled with liquid and evaporating in a lovely bubble bath just above my SPP that I can see through some glass sections I added. It looks so nice and I can imagine that it does a good job cleaning.

Problem is I have to run the boiler at 1.5 to 2kw to stop it bubbling up too far once it gets up there. I also need some suitable arrangement to knock it back down when I go above 3.5KW, I may add some SPP into my 3 inch shotgun condensor to help it because the vapor speed is just too fast and gets through it quickly even though the condenser is cold. My tiny product condenser struggles too so I will have to switch my longer 2inch shotgun from the pot still over to it. It is good having the extra power in my boiler now that I didn't before but unless your rig can handle it you won't get the delivery wanted. Luckily I've got lots of parts to play around with this and try out new things.

Link to small video showing the bubbling and it dribbling out a bit into the PC
https://streamable.com/40mq3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow