Natural Enzymes to break down starch

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

I am curious if fruits that "self destruct" on their own would do the same for starch grains. Such as bananas, pineapple, and ohters seem to reach a point and then just consume themselfs through their own enzymes. Would they take corn or rice "cooked'' down that path with them?
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: Natural Enzymes to break down starch

Post by shadylane »

I can't remember reading about enzymes in fruit being used to convert additional starch.
That doesn't mean it can't be done or isn't commonly done.
Or it may be I read about it and forgot.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

Yes...the natural enzyme that grows on bananas and onions is Aspergillus niger (the black mold in onions), the same stuff sold as SEBamyl-GL. They just culture and grow it in the lab setting.

SEBamyl-GL works on all grains/starch.

Aspergillus niger or A. niger is a fungus and one of the most common species of the genus Aspergillus.

It causes a disease called black mould on certain fruits and vegetables such as grapes, apricots, onions, and peanuts, and is a common contaminant of food.

Aspergillus oryzae comes off a mold grown on wood and added to rice to break the starches.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Interesting, I was recently wondering why people don't seem to be purposely cultivating lactobacillus. Maybe they are, and I just haven't heard about it.
Monkeyman88
Rumrunner

Post by Monkeyman88 »

Isn't that in every yogurt?
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Well, I meant for distilling. I've read of many experiences where people liked the results of a distilled, lacto-infected wash.

You're right, with all of the yogurt cultures out there, both chemical and human, there must be some lactobacillus additives available.

[fake edit] You can get freeze-dried lactobacillus on Amazon.

I'm not volunteering for it, I'm just wondering if people who've experienced them thought it would be worth trying to recreate.

[real edit] maybe that should be its own thread. sorry for hijacking, but you got me thinking.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

You can buy lactobacillus capsules at any drug or nutritional store in the U.S. as a digestive aid. One cap will def start an infection.

You can get Aspergillus oryzae at most serious Asian grocers. They call it Koji or Chinese yeast balls.

Aspergillus oryzae is very slow (days) to convert starches compared to Aspergillus niger (minutes).
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

love learning new stuff
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

DAD300 wrote:You can buy lactobacillus capsules at any drug or nutritional store in the U.S. as a digestive aid. One cap will def start an infection.

You can get Aspergillus oryzae at most serious Asian grocers. They call it Koji or Chinese yeast balls.

Aspergillus oryzae is very slow (days) to convert starches compared to Aspergillus niger (minutes).
OK, so my remaining question is whether the people who have run lacto-infected washes found them good or different enough to make it worth doing on purpose.

It sounds easier than malting :think:
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Don't forget about ginger root, it will do the job if your in a hard spot.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Old folks that where in turned or pows used it, and it works remarkably well.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

raketemensch wrote:OK, so my remaining question is whether the people who have run lacto-infected washes found them good or different enough to make it worth doing on purpose.

Lacto won't breakdown starch, as far as I know. It adds flavor, which can be good, or bad, depending on timing and the skill of the distiller. I added lacto to my last series of UJ ferments using cheese starter, but didn't get the timing right and the pH was already too low for it to make much difference to the final product. The spent grain the birds are getting smells great.
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Sour beer brewers cultivate lactobacillus often. I sour mash for beer pretty often too which is when you throw a handful of raw uncrushed grain into the mash between 90-130 degrees Fahrenheit and leave it for 1-3 days. This allows the lacto on the grain to sour the entire mash prior to pitching yeast.

Some will culture lacto from grain, yogurt, sauerkraut, etc, or buy it from commercial yeast manufacturers like White Labs or Wyeast, make an anaerobic starter and pitch that with yeast into their wort directly.

Lacto on its own will not break down starch. It needs simple sugars. Some bacterias/brettanomyces we use in brewing can eat starch though. Some strains of lacto will not create alcohol, only lactic acid and the ones that do produce ethanol, it's not a lot. Lacto for distilling would be (as NZchris stated) for flavor.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

rubber duck wrote:Don't forget about ginger root, it will do the job if your in a hard spot.
I've read that before, would like to try it out sometime. I like the taste of ginger anyway...
I've read that sweet potatoes also have enzymes enough to convert themselves, maybe enough to work through some grains tossed in with them, too.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

Yep sweet potato will convert themselves but it helps if your mash is really acidic.

You can actually convert grain with sulfuric acid belive it or not but I wouldn't try drinking it.
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

From experience I know that about a 1/4 cup wood ash tossed into a 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket of corn "well hydrated corn"
will take the skins off and soften the corn when boiled. Not really converted I dont think, but well on its way.
This is actually the start to home made tortillas. Just in case you work up an appetite mashing. :wtf:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

nuncaquite wrote:will take the skins off and soften the corn when boiled.
nuncaquite, will the skins then be skimmed off and discarded or remain and be incorporated into the mashing process ?

Thank you.
Blah, blah, blah,........
nuncaquite
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by nuncaquite »

The wood ash and water make a very weak lye solution. (Or something similar to lye) After the boil, the corn is rinsed well to remove the ash water.
For tortillas they scoop out the skins and use the masa (corn mash) to make the bread. The lye solution breaks down the fibers in the corn. This process is finished for tortillas shortly after the skins shed and the corn gets a bit soft. At that point it is ground/mashed into the flour. Ive never seen the boil continued after that. So I cant really say what would come afterwards.

In South America the corn (after is has matured, dried, and hardend) is often put into an oven to reach a temp that will kill off the moth larvie. So they are dealing with a superhard seed. This is why the ash used. Without ash they would have to boil the corn for hours and more hours.
BourbonStreet
Swill Maker

Post by BourbonStreet »

raketemensch wrote:
DAD300 wrote:You can buy lactobacillus capsules at any drug or nutritional store in the U.S. as a digestive aid. One cap will def start an infection.

OK, so my remaining question is whether the people who have run lacto-infected washes found them good or different enough to make it worth doing on purpose.

I never knew much about lacto until a few months ago. I had a batch of UJSSM that had been sitting for over 6 months. It had white growth on the top, and I scooped that off and ran it. It was probably the best UJSSM I've ever made. The sweet corn flavor came through, with very little sourness.