Making a rum dunder pit with known bacteria and brett??

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Making a rum dunder pit with known bacteria and brett??

Post by Beerswimmer »

I've been away for awhile hombrewing beer pretty hard. But, I made killer rums for years. I used to keep jugs of my rum dunder and let it funk up in my house, and I made amazing Navy style rums. Heavy, fruity, and PACKED with flavors not available without that nasty funky dunder. But after brewing beer for so long it seems like I was throwing dice and waiting for something bad to happen. I did have a few "pits" get nasty, almost fecal. I want to avoid that. I'm thinking of doing it in a more controlled, sterile way this time. Adding certain strains of bacteria or brett to dunder, and possibly occasionally feeding it with molasses. Has anyone done this? What did you add??
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Making a rum dunder pit with known bacteria and brett??

Post by Odin »

Biological kefir bacteria.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

LWTCS posted a scholarly article on dunder pits. I'll try and find it for you, otherwise try sending him a PM and requesting a link to that source.

Edit: Here it is: http://ww.homedistiller.org/forum/viewt ... 1#p7242489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Beerswimmer
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Beerswimmer »

Wow, thanks!!!
Ut Alii Vivant!!!!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Odin wrote:Biological kefir bacteria.

Odin.
Do you suppose there would be enough left in the Kefir itself? I have a source I get fresh kefir from (a local dairy makes it). Would i be able to splash some of this in my dunder pit?

Edit: nm, i see some discussion in the post for Bucaneer's rum recipe. I'll read up there. While i enjoy a glass of kefir lol.