yeast for honey and corn ujssm

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

yeast for honey and corn ujssm

Post by jb-texshine »

I've discovered that honey has a very florally aroma when distilled. I would like to use a yeast in my ujssm w/honey that produces complimentary esters. As is I've used bakers in it and it has a slight floral nose and tastes of honey up front then corn comes through with a sweet finish. Any suggestions on a yeast that would bring floral-fruity esters out more would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance guys,and gals too,
Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Tater
Admin

Re: yeast for honey and corn ujssm

Post by Tater »

Id think about any mead yeast would.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
biker geek
Swill Maker

Post by biker geek »

Wine yeasts are the preference for mead. For an estery profile I like D47 from Lalvin. For a lighter profile a Pasteur champagne yeast or EC1118 champagne yeast is good. The champagne yeasts are slow. I have a mead guru friend who also distills honey washes, and he swears by using a lager yeast, which means a month long ferment at 45degF.
thatguy1313
Distiller

Post by thatguy1313 »

I used EC1118 and really liked the results. Honey liquor really benefits from time, more so than other spirits in my opinion.
No, officer, I wasn't distilling alcohol! It was probably that guy!

Important information for new distillers
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

thatguy1313 wrote:I used EC1118 and really liked the results. Honey liquor really benefits from time, more so than other spirits in my opinion.
Went with the d47. It's working great but slower than bakers. Definitely needs some Ageing time though. Although the last jar before the tails come in is damn good as is. The way I decided to make it is :
15#honey
10 #cracked corn
Water to make ten gallons total
1cup crushed oyster shell
Yeast bomb D47
This gave me an o.g. 1.068 . yeild for single run 3quarts 1cup 100 proof,so I figure my honey is around 75%fermentable

Using the multi generation principal but not using any backset. So far I'm on gen 3 and I've done one gen single distilled, one gen as a1.5 distillation and next a double distillation. The tails are being kept for a all honey tails run eventually. The 1.5 distillation is my favorite so far. I did freeze four gallons of backset for future use.

Jb
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Secale
Novice

Post by Secale »

Mead is something that I'm interested in as well.

I really like the description of White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead/Wine Yeast.

Description:
White Labs WLP720 Sweet Mead / Wine Yeast - This is a good choice for wine, sweet mead an cider, as well
as Blush wines, Gewürztraminer, Sauternes, Riesling. A strain that is less attenuative than WLP715, leaving
behind some residual sweetness. Slightly fruity and has an alcohol tolerance of up to 15%.

Features:
Attenuation: 73-80%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Fermentation Temperature: 68-73°F
Alcohol Tolerance: High

Google it.
If it's on YouTube. It has to be real. LOLZ

http://homedistiller.org/intro