So for using regular store bought fleischmanns yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

newbie1982
Novice

So for using regular store bought fleischmanns yeast?

Post by newbie1982 »

Many recipes I use on here it calls for regular grocery store yeast is there a difference for recipe purpose using active dry or instant rise. I can get 4 oz of active dry for 4.99 and I can buy 2 lbs of instant from Sam's club I've been using active but would really love to cut down the cost.
Kegg_jam
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: So for using regular store bought fleischmanns yeast?

Post by Kegg_jam »

You can use the Sams club yeast. But if your spending too much on yeast, look into making a starter. Get some more mileage out of it. Or re-use the yeast cake from an existing ferment.
newbie1982
Novice

Post by newbie1982 »

I would like to do that. I've read about it and THINK I understand how to do both. But different recipes call for different amouts of yeast and I'm not sure how much of a starter or what I can collect from the trub should be used for my batch
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

if you're doing UJ just take out a bit of grain, add some more, add water and sugar. stir. repeat

if you are doing ag, after you rack, take a clean, clean, clean mason jar, scoop a quart of trub off the top and refridgerate until you want to use it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

newbie1982 wrote:Many recipes I use on here it calls for regular grocery store yeast is there a difference for recipe purpose using active dry or instant rise. I can get 4 oz of active dry for 4.99 and I can buy 2 lbs of instant from Sam's club I've been using active but would really love to cut down the cost.
YMMV there's not much difference between the two.
I prefer the instant because it's much cheap.
It's cheap enough you can boil some for nutrients when making sugar washes :thumbup: