Distilamax LS / EC1118

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tuga79
Novice

Distilamax LS / EC1118

Post by Tuga79 »

Hey guys,

I would just like to confirm if the EC1118 and Distilamax LS are both the same strain of yeast or if their is some difference between them?

I find lots of reference to the EC1118 from our members but no reference to the Distilamax LS.

I have a package of Distilamax LS and I think I''ll give it a try with an Arbutus unedo mash that I hope to prepare next week :)
rad14701
retired

Re: Distilamax LS / EC1118

Post by rad14701 »

http://www.lallemandbds.com wrote:DistilaMax® LS active dry yeast is a selected strain of Saccharomyces cerevisiae bayanus isolate from Champagne that was selected for use in the production of tequila, fruit brandies and neutral grain spirits. DistilaMax® LS produces a broad spectrum of flavor congeners and gives a desirable taste profile on many different substrates, giving it a wide range of distilling applications.
It's not EC1118, but close... Google is your friend... :idea:
Tuga79
Novice

Post by Tuga79 »

In this case, google originated the doubt :? since they're both S. cerevisiae bayunus strain, we pretty much should obtain the same results, correct?
Evil Wizard
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Evil Wizard »

In my bench trials, they taste different.
Work is the curse of the drinking class. "Would you like some water?" "No thanks, I'm Irish."

Louchebag Absintheur, Apostolic Alcoholic, Whisky Icarus, Bathtub Alchemist.

Started 2005, went Pro 2017. Federal Excise 51-SL-262.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

This is an interesting point. I have a Laffort B0 213 brand yeast, this is a bayanus yeast and compared to another brand's bayanus yeast the results were very similar. Maybe there are slight differences between the producers but I never thought about it that much. We would need the support of someone from the yeast industry.
ideasinbeer
Novice

Post by ideasinbeer »

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't bayanus the generic term for "Wine Yeast"? Then within that terminology there are numerous stains to sort out for use?

Companies like Lalvin etc list multiple yeast strains identified under the Bayanus name, with variants under it?

If this is correct, it makes direct comparison between producers near impossible as they tend to disguise the exact specifics of their strains.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

ideasinbeer wrote: Tue Oct 06, 2020 6:38 am Forgive my ignorance, but isn't bayanus the generic term for "Wine Yeast"? Then within that terminology there are numerous stains to sort out for use?

Companies like Lalvin etc list multiple yeast strains identified under the Bayanus name, with variants under it?

If this is correct, it makes direct comparison between producers near impossible as they tend to disguise the exact specifics of their strains.
For the fermentation of wine you can usually find "saccharomyces cerevisiae" and "saccaromicies bayanus" which are closely related. What would be interesting to find out is what changes between the various producers of the same yeast.