Is RedStar DADY different than Fermentis yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Is RedStar DADY different than Fermentis yeast?

Post by amdamgraham »

I bought a 1lb bulk bag of Red Star DADY. I wanted to learn more about it than what the homebrew store websites mention (invariably the same promotional paragraph) and I could not get the answer I wanted when I used HD Google. To the point, I went to the Red Star web site and when you get to wine & distillers yeasts you get redirected to Fermentis which has products specifically targeting micro distillers and various styles. So this begs the question, what is Red Star DADY in relation to the specific, targeted Fermentis yeasts? Is it a legacy Red Star strain that Fermentis does not sell or is it possibly one of their strains (like Safspirit USW-6 or GR-2) but sold "generically" as just Red Star DADY. Anybody know?
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Is RedStar DADY different than Fermentis yeast?

Post by cede »

Hi,
Red Star and Fermentis are divisions of Lesaffre
Check this pdf : https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources/C ... s_dady.pdf

I guess dady is a selected strain that works well with all grain mashes to be distilled, like other strains they have for beers, wines and so on.
It might be sold under Red Star somewhere on the planet and under Fermentis somewhere else.
amdamgraham
Bootlegger

Re: Is RedStar DADY different than Fermentis yeast?

Post by amdamgraham »

Thank you, much appreciated!