Want to use up turbo? Would just a pinch be OK?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Want to use up turbo? Would just a pinch be OK?

Post by fizzix »

Member MM-Brew was mentioning how he has seen the light and has kicked the turbo habit. That leaves him with some unused stock just sitting around.
That got me to thinking -and that's a dangerous thing.
Would just a pinch or tablespoon of the stuff added to a recipe have value as a nutrient? That way one could slowly use up their turbo and at least get SOMEthing out of the investment.

It's amazing how little data is available on turbo ingredients. Most turbo sites are just touting the stuff, without any meat & potatoes information.

One I found:
Turbo yeast is a mix of dry wine yeast (Saccharomyces Cerivisae) and nutrition. The particular strain used (there are many different strains of Saccharomyces Cerivisae) is chosen for its ability to produce alcohol and the nutrients are optimised for providing exactly the right combination of nitrogen, vitamins and trace minerals which the yeast needs in the different stages of alcohol fermentation. It also contains a pH adjustment as the pH of a sugar/water mix is far from optimal.
Or is using this crap even in tiny, tiny amounts just a plain bad idea?
Last edited by fizzix on Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Want to use up turbo. Would just a pinch be OK?

Post by Swedish Pride »

Don't be a dick
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've actually used it and gotten good results with it although I wouldn't call it turbo.

I let the wash sit for 2 months and it cleared like rain water (got busy) syphon it off carefully and strip and spirit run made a decent neutral.

Not that I advocate for turbos but if you're not wanting it "now" it can be done.

That's a good link S.P. I've read it a long time back and it's full of good info, thanks for posting it!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thanks Swedish Pride. Saw that and was still turned off from it.
Luckily I had used all my turbo right when I discovered Home Distiller so I don't have any left over.
This was just for anyone who did.
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Want to use up turbo? Would just a pinch be OK?

Post by seamusm53 »

Read some more. Turbo has an undeserved bad rap. If used in conditions which don't stress the yeast it works fine. Some of my best all-time whiskey was made with Turbo before I learned 'the truth', and now that I have learned even more I use it when appropriate. Any yeast is gonna suck if your expecting a mash to be 15% before distillation and even sugar can result in crap if pushed.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

seamusm53 wrote:Read some more. Turbo has an undeserved bad rap...
I can understand that now that I know a little more about this hobby.
But following the general instructions with a dump truck full of sugar GIVES it a bad rap. I made some real garbage following the package instructions.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I've made some decent neutral with turbos, just that it wasn't turbo, I let it clear crystal clear for about a month or more and carefully syphon off the lees.
I also didn't use a ton of sugar but more than I would now if I were to do another sugar wash.