Red Star distillers yeast

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jmac1954
Novice

Red Star distillers yeast

Post by Jmac1954 »

Is Red Star distillers yeast ok to use or is it considered a turbo type yeast?
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Red Star distillers yeast

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Red Star distillers yeast is one of the strains that can ferment up over 18%, so I would consider it a "Turbo-Style" yeast. I've not used it...if you choose to, please keep us informed. The biggest fault with turbo is a bitter taste that distills over... if Red Star produces a smooth neutral from a wash thats 18% or above, it will win some friends here on HB.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Jmac1954
Novice

Post by Jmac1954 »

kiwi Bruce wrote:Red Star distillers yeast is one of the strains that can ferment up over 18%, so I would consider it a "Turbo-Style" yeast. I've not used it...if you choose to, please keep us informed. The biggest fault with turbo is a bitter taste that distills over... if Red Star produces a smooth neutral from a wash thats 18% or above, it will win some friends here on HB.
I have used it on tpw with the goal of 12 percent.
I don't know what is wrong but smells bad and tastes bad.
I thought if I redisilled it I would get rid of the nasties unfortunately I have 7 pints of 135 percent even worse smelling and tasting stuff. I am going to try and filter it. Next batch will be bread yeast.
I tried it only because I figured it would be stable.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Try activated charcoal and see if that helps
Getting hung up all day on smiles
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have used plain Red Star baking yeast many times and have never had any problems with taste. I use it in my whiskies and my rums at about 8% potential in my mashes and washes. It is about $ 4.50 a pound at the market.
That is what I like about HD , I had never even heard of red star distillers yeast so I researched it a bit and also discovered that they offer other types of brewing yeasts sold under the brand name Fermentis. Always learning something here.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I guess troubles with this yeast would be called a DADY issue? duh-dum-tssss :lol: :lol:

I've only used Red Star Distiller's with Birdwatcher's because I've read on these very forums that it imparts minimal flavor.
So far no troubles. But I've never tried to push it above 10%ABV max either.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

2016 I used it alot for sf and corn likker washes, 1.090 was the highest I tried and had plenty of success with it.

It's clean fermenting but I now use fleischmann's bread yeast since I rarely go over 1.075

I say use it and don't try for 18% unless you step feed the ferment.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

corene1 wrote: That is what I like about HD , I had never even heard of red star distillers yeast so I researched it a bit and also discovered that they offer other types of brewing yeasts sold under the brand name Fermentis. Always learning something here.
Yes, great ressources here !
I saw that too a few weeks backs while looking at fermentis' web site.
But geez !!!! $65-70 for a 500g ? or did I misread ?
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

cede said, '$65-70 for a 500g ? or did I misread ?'

I have always used either wild yeast (especially for fruit, it starts to ferment all by itself) or compressed (not dried, usually) yeast from the family bakery. It's free!
(And only a few dollars a kilo anyway.)

Geoff
The Baker
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

I get it from a beer and wine shop for 7$ per pound and it lasted me a year over pitching and all :thumbup:
Chixter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chixter »

I have used Red Star DADY on UJSM around 16% and AG's around 10%. Never had any off tastes or smells. Some of the best whiskey I have ever tasted. Very steady dependable and consistent product imho. I'll use it till I run out then try something different.
When I was a boy, I prayed for a bicycle. I soon learned G~d doesn't work like this so I stole a bike and prayed for forgiveness.
cede
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by cede »

Shineon and the Baker, I was talking about fermentis safspirit yeast that sells about 50USD per 500g.

For the other brewing/baking yeasts I know the prices :D
The Baker wrote:I have always used either wild yeast (especially for fruit, it starts to ferment all by itself) or compressed (not dried, usually) yeast from the family bakery. It's free!
I did use some wild yeast from time to time when I go into lambics, but that's another story :)
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I did NOT know the price of that fancy yeast!!!

Geoff
The Baker
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

I've been using it for years. With no bad tastes . It's about the same as any other DADY
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Chixter wrote:I have used Red Star DADY on UJSM around 16% and AG's around 10%. Never had any off tastes or smells. Some of the best whiskey I have ever tasted. Very steady dependable and consistent product imho. I'll use it till I run out then try something different.
At 16% your stressing your fermentation. I shoot for 6-8% on AG's and no higher than 10% on sugars. I believe the forum considers 14% as the upper limit but I am never above 12.
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

Oh, I gotcha. Still would go with Dady tho, just because of the name it's that much more imo.

Not saying it's not top class but for ag mashes Dady or bread yeast works well enough without off flavors and Dady because it ferments clean.