Yeast Starter

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

badflash
Swill Maker

Yeast Starter

Post by badflash »

Been reading recipe after recipe where people use dry yeast or baker's yeast and dump it on top of the wort. I've always used a yeast starter, where I take a packet of yeast or liquid and add it to a pint of cooled wort, mix it well and put it on a stir plate for a few hours. The yeast activates and will multiply to many times the starting amount by the time the rest of the wort cools. Because it has been activated in the same medium it will be working on, there is very little lag before fermentation starts. You also get to see if your yeast is any good before pitching. You get even more action if you use a clean air stone and filtered air for the first few hours. Yeast multiplies quickly when there is oxygen, then stops and starts making alcohol when it runs out of O2.

Any reason why people don't do this more often? Does slower starts make a better flavor profile? I've always done beer and mead in the past, and it works great for beer, but not everything crosses over to distilling.
Shine0n
Distiller

Re: Yeast Starter

Post by Shine0n »

Some do and some dont, it's all a matter of preference imo. I've had luck either way but I definitely see a benefit for higher gravity wort/must using a starter.

I over pitch when not using a starter but if I do make a starter I'll use 1/2 must and half h20, it gets this rolling right along.

The only yeast I've used in meads that handles a high sg is 71B and can be pitched on the top but D47 I'll rehydrate with half and half.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

All my spirit ferments have started within an hour or two using bakers dry yeast and a whiskey specific dry yeast. They all were just sprinkled on the cooled wort. Pretty much zero lag and I have had some pretty decent drops so I will stick with the simple method. I used to use starters on beer quite often but I even quit doing that. I will however pitch enough yeast for the og and rehydrate it for bigger beers.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

Some of these folks are using 10 packs of yeast. It doesn't seem cost effective if that is the case. I use a starter because it saves me money and is a sure thing. Most of the yeasts I've always use say that they should be started before pitching, so I do. I've only used beer yeasts and Champaign yeast so far. Did one cider with wild yeast and wasn't happy with that at all.
Wild Bill
Bootlegger

Post by Wild Bill »

If you are comfortable with that protocol and have success with it that is all that matters so by all means keep at it ! It certainly won’t hurt a thing.
Living life one drop at a time

I ain’t here for a long time, I am here for a good time

Don’t worry, have a bourbon!
Shine0n
Distiller

Post by Shine0n »

10 packs would be alot for a 5 gal batch but if you're making 30-40 gal of mash/must/wash then it's not.

When I make 30-40 gal of rum wash I use 1/2 lb of bread yeast One member said he uses the whole lb. I get 2 lb for less that 5 bucks so it doesn't hurt the pocket.

My meads I'll use 2 packs for either 3 or 5+ gal of must, there again it's only .99c-1.19$ per pack so it's not bad over all. I stopped using high dollar yeast for them like the sweet/dry mead yeast at 7.99 per pack because I can get the same or better results using the D47 or 71B and better protocols.

I get what you're saying, waste not, want not.

Think of it this way too, it costs less than 5 bucks per fifth when I make likker, the little extra insurance on my wort is definitely worth it but sometimes not needed, just insurance kinda like wearing a cup to play curling. lol
badflash
Swill Maker

Post by badflash »

It costs me almost nothing. Premiere Cuvee is $1.99 a pack. In under 6 hours I can propagate that to any amount I want.I can tehn make up a bunch for later use. My feed stock is free as it is bakery goods the grocer is throwing out. pH adjustment and some enzymes are the only real cost, but citric acid and lime are nearly free and a bottle of enzyme is $30 and is good for 300 batches. For fuel it I key to keep the costs extremely low so you can produce it below $2 a gallon.