Sludge in bottom of wash

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Denizh
Novice

Sludge in bottom of wash

Post by Denizh »

Is there any use for the sludge that is lefts behind after I siphon up the wash to make rum? I am going to make another wash and I am thinking maybe the leftover stuff (lees?) could be useful as it contains dead yeast cells?
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Sludge in bottom of wash

Post by pfshine »

It should have a colony of living yeast as well. Just add new wash to it and watch it take off.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

As pfshine has said it can be used again. The other option is to dump hot dunder or water on it to kill the yeast, it then becomes yeast food/ nutrient for the next lot of yeast. Either method works.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

pfshine wrote:It should have a colony of living yeast as well. Just add new wash to it and watch it take off.
Quitw so, but keep your temperature down to "yeast tolerant" levels so as not to kill it by pouring hot wash in there.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Saltbush Bill wrote: The other option is to dump hot dunder or water on it to kill the yeast, it then becomes yeast food/ nutrient for the next lot of yeast.
^that. Some of the best nutrients for yeast are in dead yeast.

For example: https://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/servomyces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
jpparts
Novice

Post by jpparts »

When I collect the "sludge " from the bottom of the fermenter, how do I know how much to use on the next batch? I made two 5gal all grain mashes. Then after siphoning off, poured the sludge into two separate jars. ( they were two different yeasts)
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

I did an experiment with autoclaved yeast trub. It was nowhere near as good as Fermaid K. I'll try it again though because it would be nice to be able to use a quality DIY nutrient for certain things.

Cheers,
j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————