Hooray for Calcium Carbonate

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hooray for Calcium Carbonate

Post by sltm1 »

Just sayin'
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Hooray for Calcium Carbonate

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Please... do elaborate.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

Funny, It's a godsend for adjusting pH in distilling mashes but when it comes to brewing, chalk generally sucks.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Well, besides some failures early on in my distilling, I've never had a ph problem (4 years now). I finally had one by adding backset to left over wash along with corn, water and sugar and my ph tanked. I pulled out a ph test kit I've never used and the results of the test was a damn near blood red color....low ph. Sooooo, having been a good study on this site, I also bought some CC several years ago along with the kit, chucked a bunch into my dead wash with some new sugar started yeast and next morning....like doctor Frankenstein, upon seeing the bubbling brew I exclaimed, "IT'S ALIVE!" !!!!!! Wrung my, twitching with joy, hands with a nefarious grin on my face, picked up the jar of CC and fondled, nay, kissed it, in gratitude and thanks. Hence my shout out to the crew here on the Ethernet.
A Paraphrase of a Joe Walsh Album Title, "The Drinkier I get, The Smokier I Play!!"
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

i gotta admit a little pang of jealousy whenever someone posts that they saved a stalled ferment.

i never get them going again.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
sltm1
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by sltm1 »

Maybe you didn't use a big enough shovel to apply the CC LOL...plus I stirred the mash with a paddle till it got frothy, oxygenating every thing in the barrel.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

HDNB wrote: never get them going again.
From experience, a Ph crash on an all grain mash require much more calcium carbonate, like double the amount, than a sugar wash will require to raise the Ph.. and that with using 5.1 ph stabilizer or with oyster shell, which neither seem to help anyways..

But recently I have been starting my mashs and washs at a Ph of 5, and I don't see as big of a Ph drop that I used to get when I started at a Ph of 6..

When I make wine,(from premium wine kits), the starting Ph is 3.4, and it moves very little from there.. so my thoughts are to start somewhere in that range.. haven't done it yet, but will do so on my next sugar wash and see what happens..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

When ole boys was youngins
Ole doc would use chalk in wine. Don't no
if new chalk same like old chalk.

So I'm tole
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Teaspoon of distiller nutrient w/ag per gal of ferment volume and never worry bout ph again..

Ifn only it was available back in the day for the ole boys, maybe woulda stretched the year out with more runs.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

HDNB wrote:i gotta admit a little pang of jealousy whenever someone posts that they saved a stalled ferment.

i never get them going again.
hahah too funny