Yeast Nutrients

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yeast Nutrients

Post by fizzix »

Hey, Budapest8485.
I don't think yeast crap, but they do fart CO2 and pee alcohol.
Boil up that settled yeast in the trub! Great nutrient for the new little cannibals.

And good score on the Costco yeast.
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

Shine0n wrote:never handled poppy seeds myself!

1lb bread yeast
2 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp Epsom salt
1 quart of water

Boil and reduce to a paste, one tsp per 5 gal of wash. Haven't had one stall since using this.

Not all washes need nutes but for sugars washes it's not failed me.
Made some today...wow that stuff stinks! Sticky and messy. But I' done now and this stuff will last me for a long time at a tsp per 5 gallons.

Thanks for the recipe!

Oh, and I have 7 gallons of sugar wash rolling right now! If my SSR and Heating Element will get here, I can do a run next week!
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
Sunshineer
Swill Maker

Post by Sunshineer »

I always add about 5 pounds of bananas to my sugar washes I get them for free and I never get stuck and go over 22 or 23 abv. I hang them in a sack and remove before I add charcoal. Gives me a nice clean smooth end product.
ChefJohn
Novice

Post by ChefJohn »

Ok, so after looking through multiple posts and threads, I’ve put together this recipe for a Yeast Nutrient, primarily for Sugarheads or Uncle Remus Rice Vodka. I do not have the benefit of trial and error on this yet, but am looking for some constructive feedback as I worry this might be overkill...

Yeast Nutrient

1 Quart Distilled or Filtered Water
1 Tbs Epsom salts
2 tsp Lemon Juice
2 Tbs Tomato Paste
2 Tsp DAP
2 Multivitamins (without Iron), crushed
1 lb Yeast

Procedure:

1. In a sauce pot, bring the first six ingredients to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Add yeast, and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes or until mixture starts to become thick.
2. Remove from heat; using a spatula, scrape mixture into a sanitized mason jar and screw on the lid. Refrigerate
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I wouldnt bother with distilled water, id just use the same water i use for my mashes. And because distilled water is lacking trace elements it has been said it is not good for a ferment
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
ChefJohn
Novice

Post by ChefJohn »

Other than the distilled water, does this recipe sound alright?
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Id probably drop the tomato too as it wont keep as long and the multi vitamins probably cover that

Otherwise looks ok. I do tpw for sugar washes anyway so its already covered. I do use fermax or fermaid and dap because i already have it in bulk.

shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

I'd skip making and trying to store a big batch of nutrients.
Just boil up a fresh batch when needed
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

shadylane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:00 pm I'd skip making and trying to store a big batch of nutrients.
Pretty much why i buy mine, so if im pinched for time for any reason(life) i can get stuff done faster.

Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

shadylane wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:00 pm by shadylane » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:00 pm

I'd skip making and trying to store a big batch of nutrients.
Yeah that ^^^
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

I read many topics and article about yeast nutrient also i saw many film and movie on youtube about it.

I have to say still i am looking for good and correct ratio of elements and vitamins for sugar wash.

Many recipe suggest to use 1.5 to 2 % yeast extract and fermentation end less than 4 days.

For fast and high ABV fermentation this is important to use element like magnesium and calcium,FAN(nitrogen source),phosphate,...
But i really didnt find clear procedure or ratio for making yeast nutrient by chemicals.

What is true and acceptable element and vitamins ratio for fast and high sugar wash fermentation?

How much element in 1 liter?
Last edited by Hector2000 on Fri May 15, 2020 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am I read many topics and article about yeast nutrient also i saw many film and movie on youtube about it.
I would ignore youtube, mostly the people tend to be clueless.
Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am I have to say still i am looking for good and correct ratio of elements and vitamins for sugar wash.
I would suggest reading through some of the tried an true recipes; they're called that for a reason.
Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am Many recipe suggest to use 1.5 to 2 % yeast extract and fermentation end less than 4 days.
Not clear what you're referring to with yeast extract.
Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 9:30 am For fast and high ABV fermentation this is important to use element like magnesium and calcium,FAN(nitrogen source),phosphate,...
But i really didnt find clear procedure or ratio for making yeast nutrient by chemicals.
What is true and acceptable element and vitamins ratio for fast and high sugar wash fermentation?
So it definitely sounds like you've been getting bad advice; seeking high ABV and quick ferments will result in off flavors.
Some advice, keep the ABV to 8-9%, and don't true to push yeast faster than they want to go. As mentioned, you'd be better off checking out a tried and true recipe before trying to reinvent the wheel.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Hector2000 »

Thanks expat for your reply.

I am referring to commercial available yeast extract(for mine is from levex company in turkey)or homemade yeast extract.

I am referring to interesting article about getting high Ethanol from high sugar wheat mash:

“Production of 21% (v/v) ethanol by fermentation of very high gravity (VHG) wheat mashes
K.C. Thomas and W.M. Ingledew”

And
“Effect of free amino nitrogen on Fermentation of Very-High-Gravity Wheat Mashes
KOLOTHUMANNIL C.THOMAS AND W. M. INGLEDEW”

It seems number of cell in each gram of liquid and amount of yeast extract is very important in high and fast ethanol fermentation.

At this time flavor is not important for me
I want to find out trustable ratio of elements and additive for fast and high yield ethanol

Something like 24 or 48 hour turbo yeast formula
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 10:42 am Thanks expat for your reply.

I am referring to commercial available yeast extract(for mine is from levex company in turkey)or homemade yeast extract.

I am referring to interesting article about getting high Ethanol from high sugar wheat mash:

“Production of 21% (v/v) ethanol by fermentation of very high gravity (VHG) wheat mashes
K.C. Thomas and W.M. Ingledew”

And
“Effect of free amino nitrogen on Fermentation of Very-High-Gravity Wheat Mashes
KOLOTHUMANNIL C.THOMAS AND W. M. INGLEDEW”

It seems number of cell in each gram of liquid and amount of yeast extract is very important in high and fast ethanol fermentation.

At this time flavor is not important for me
I want to find out trustable ratio of elements and addictive for fast and high yield ethanol

Something like 24 or 48 hour turbo yeast formula
For clarity, are you trying to make fuel?

Cross flow condenser

Post by Hector2000 »

No,
I am trying to get cheap and flavor off ethanol in high yield and in shortest time.(flavor will be added in final product )

I read some recipe and advise here:
viewtopic.php?t=66887

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=62328

And also in another topics but i didnt find acceptable ratio.

So far i found out for fast and high yield fermentation we need nitrogen at least 300mg per kg of fermentation liquid and also i know 76 million of cell per gr is needed too.
Unfortunately Amount of magnesium , calcium, vitamin and phosphate is not clear for me
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 11:08 am No,
I am trying to get cheap and flavor off ethanol in high yield and in shortest time.(flavor will be added in final product )
But you will get a big time alcohol bite or mouth burn.. but doing a high yield in a few days is not difficult..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

Thanks stiller boy,

May i know what is your suggested recipe for high yield in shortest time?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

+1 to what Mars said

Since your intending to drink this, quality matters. If you want volume buy a larger fermenter or two. You can easily make more than you can drink so you're just working to your own disadvantage.

Edit: re your response, want a bigger yield, get a bigger bucket.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Hector2000 »

Bigger bucket will waste your time and money when you can get high volume of alcohol with smaller one .

There are lot of good essence and flavor in markets that you can add to your final ethanol.
Have you ever tried that?

I am expert in this field :D

You know what is safest alcohol drink in the word?
Buying 99.9 purity from lab chemical company(like merck or sigma) then dilute it and add flavor(sure most of ethanol drink company do this)
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Why would anyone buy vacuum distilled Ethanol at 99.9% as you claim only to dilute it back to drinking strength ?
Wouldn't that be rather an experience way of doing it when you could by normal GNS at 95% for less and use it?
What ever the case the method that you are choosing to use wont produce a spirit as good as either of the above.
95% is what most distilleries who buy in ethanol buy as far as I know.
Resized_20190104_154530_5147.jpeg
Resized_20190104_154628_733.jpeg
Attachments
20200516_173543.jpg
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

I can tell you that buying Lab grade ethanol is Not going to be cheap... in fact it is ridiculously overpriced . Certainly that is the case here .

You seem to be missing the point here that making high ABV washes is the answer .... its not . High ABV washes end up full of stinky alcohol that you then need to reflux the shit out of and perform larger than normal cuts to remove . Higher refluxing means more power costs and longer times .

You seriously need to change your thinking on this . Go for more lower AVB washes , strip them and reflux the combined strips . That will give you a better final product in less time with a better quality .

Do you intend to drink this stuff yourself ?
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

95% purity not mean just alcohol + water.

According to analysis paper or MSDS of 95% ethanol they usually contain small amount of methanol+acetaldehyde +...(they usually cause headache)

99.9%(absolute) mean minimum possible amount of methanol+ another impurity(less than 50 ppm)
Sure no one of home distiller can reach this level of purity.

Just try one time.i usually buy 2.5 liter scharlau absolute ethanol and mix with calculated amount of sour cherry juice and heat it at 60-70 celsius for 5 minutes and finally cool it and drink after one week.
Accordingly to of the famous proverb”you will travel to 7 th. floor of sky when you drink it !”

I usually buy 2.5 liter of absolute ethanol 60$ and each liter of my drink cost 10$
Sure if i use korean absolute then it will be cheaper

One drum(220 liter) of this 99.9% alcohol cost 5$/liter
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

F32AC478-8E1A-472C-B655-CDB4585D1B62.gif
I usually use above setup(fractional distillation) for distilling my fermented sugar wash.i get 95% purity at first distill and then i add calcium oxide to it to absorb remaining azetropic water and distill it again for getting 99% purity ethanol.(According to GC analysis even with this setup i can not reach 50ppm impurity)
Last edited by Hector2000 on Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Seriously .
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

LOL too funny

Cross flow condenser

Post by Hector2000 »

bj0341532.pdf
(539.5 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
THE IMPORTANCE OF AMINO-ACIDS AS YEAST NUTRIENTS
By HERSCHEL KENWORTHY MITCHELL AND ROGER JOHN WILLIAMS
Can nitrogen in the form of ammonium work?

Interesting article that suggest 7 type of amino acids(The five most important amino-acids were glutamic acid,aspartic acid, asparagine, arginine and leucine and best dosage is 5mg)

And effect of different type of nitrogen source in fermentation
Last edited by Hector2000 on Sat May 16, 2020 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

The first article is an old research paper.. the second is good and more recent...

For my sugar wash, I use DAP or Diammonium phosphate in amount of 14 gr / 2.5 tsp in a 6.5 gal / 26 L batch, scaled up for larger batches..

This amount has allowed my batches to finish dry within 3 days (with the combination of other ingredients).. so I'm a little above the required amount as per the research paper, which I possibly could twick down some...

But what the article does not touch on, and from experience both in wine and sugar wash making, is the important relation between ingredients, temperature of wash during fermentation, and the Ph requirements.. all have to work together, otherwise issues arise throughout the whole process, and into the stripping phase..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

Suggested ratio by:

https://distillique.co.za/Shop/blog/how ... rients-n26
40g of Di-Ammonium Phosphate

747g of Ammonium Sulphate

2g of Thiamine

1g of Potassium Tartrate

10g of Bentonite

The result will be a mixture of approximately 800g of Nutrients, of which you only need to add 3 to 5 grams per 20 lt fermentation

@stillerboy:
What is your another ingredient?14gr DAP +? And what is your final ABV?

1CD7A94C-1415-49A9-8310-62C0BB91C991.jpeg
F8F683D0-A4AC-41F9-8464-74ACDDA59EF0.jpeg
57C988C4-BA92-4A05-A6E0-830884E6DC32.jpeg
53A4DB6D-E849-4FD4-9336-8A79E369063C.jpeg
My favorite ethanol :D
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

HIGH NUTRIENT YEAST

Interesting patent
US20160326484A1.pdf