Yeast Nutrients

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

arentwejusthere
Swill Maker

Re: Yeast Nutrients

Post by arentwejusthere »

What in the actual #$^@ is going on above?
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 7:23 am I Finally Found What I've Been Looking For:
And what was that, that the thread had that you were looking for..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Hector2000
Novice

Post by Hector2000 »

That is very useful information about different nutrition and effect of those on speed and final ABV(also effective way for autolyzing baker yeast by fruit protease).

This information help me to find out best ratio of nutrition for getting high ABV fermentation
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Hector2000 wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 6:49 pm That is very useful information about different nutrition and effect of those on speed and final ABV
The thread is some years old, and never mention the important of fermentation temperature, and the Ph in all the so call test done, and all took for ever to finish..

Nutrient/ingredient in the proper portions is important, but yeast like just the right combination in nutrient, with the right temperature environment and acidity level..

You were provided with a list of ingredients that the yeast like and finish in a few days, and that has come about from formulating many batches over a 10 yr period, almost down to a science..

Just try the method provided, as I done 20% abv plus with bread yeast..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
monty00
Novice

Post by monty00 »

Shine0n wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:36 am Fermaid o is organic (I use)
fermaid k isn't (I don't use)
Boiling bread yeast with a good pinch of Epsom salt will make a great nutrient, let me clarify...1 lbs of yeast, 1 quart h20, 1 tsp Epsom salt

Boil water with es, once at a boil add yeast and cut down the heat to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 15 minutes or boil down to reduce water volume.

Put in a mason jar and refrigerate.

Note☆ it's easier to measure if reduced to a paste.
How long can this last in the refrigerator? Can it be saved in the freezer?
I’ve done the above and seem to have a lot of nutrient now and only use 2tsp every 10-15days, thanks.