I messed up used 10x yeast I should have what to do.

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Akthor
Novice

I messed up used 10x yeast I should have what to do.

Post by Akthor »

So I have a new 26 gallon still coming. I made a recipe and I was using a new scale when I use for lbs/ozs 5 oz would be 5.0 but for whatever reason when it on grams it's just 5 for 5 grams.

My plan was to make 5 - 5 gallon batches since I had 5 fermenting buckets free.

So I need to harvest water from my reverse osmosis water system. So I had two 5 gallon jugs saved up so I was going to get 2 ready and do the next 3 the next day.

Made them and I used distillers yeast which called for 1 gram of yeast per gallon so I put in what I thought was 5 grams. Had explosive fermentation had to use blow off tubes. Next day it had settled down and could put regular air locks in. While preparing the next 3 batches I realized I had been reading the scale wrong and that I had put in 50 grams of yeast per bucket on the first 2 buckets!

So are those two batches going to be no good? My plan was to pour all 5 washes into to still when they are ready but if those 2 are bad I don't want to ruin the other 3. So what do I do?
butterpants
Swill Maker

Re: I messed up used 10x yeast I should have what to do.

Post by butterpants »

It'll be fine. I think if you're looking to emulate something very esoteric or specific pitch rate in a recipie mattets for washes but I always overpitch like a mofo when making a distilling wash. I want it done and done like yesterday, without getting overly hot..... now in a beer, completely different. I actually pull out a microscope and hemocyotometer to count and calculate cell pitch rates. In washes I repitch slurry for corn and bourbon recipies that are crazy overpitches for conventional beer rates. My 1.090 gravity molasses rum wash at 10 gallons got 150 g of baking yeast. A similar ale pitching rate would be 35-40g. Sorry I'm jumping between dry, slurry and liquid in my train of thought but I'm crazy like that.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Relax and have a bourbon.
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Wow, thats gonna multiply pretty fast ifn conditions are rite..
Definitely rack in carboys or other vessels and let settle so as not to ruin your flavor profile..
Make sure your charge is CLEAN, not necessarily clear.
Rack into kettle thru clean cotton rag and ss screened strainer.
Alot of suspended yeasties in a boiling charge will thro a burnt 'graham cracker' taste that will carry over thru everything.
Believe That.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!