UK brands

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

TheDentist38
Novice

UK brands

Post by TheDentist38 »

Hi all,

I just wondered if any UK-based distillers might be willing to share which brand(s) of yeast they use for sugar/sugarhead washes and where you buy them? I have been using Allinson bakers yeast (the yellow tin) found in ASDA but I keep getting a "biscuity/yeasty" taste/smell to my distillate and would ideally like to try another yeast with my next wash to see if the same thing happens. Ideally I'd like something that is available in UK supermarkets if anybody knows of any others to try? I have had a look around Tesco but only seem to be able to find small sachets of Tesco bakers yeast.
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: UK brands

Post by Manc »

Sorry I can't help I only been using the same one Allison's dry active yeast. I've not noticed any biscuit taste but I use a reflux coloum and my pallet isn't that refined.

There are some fresh yeast sellers on eBay or if there is a local bakery they might sell you some. I believe it keeps in the fridge for 2 to 4 weeks. I'm interested in how you get on and if it makes a better product always trying to improve.

Lee
Stew8
Bootlegger

Post by Stew8 »

Hi dr
Search flea bay or ‘mason for 100g wine yeast. I’ve used Young’s to make delicious cider and trying out vinclasse at the moment.
About a fiver a pop. You don’t get that breads smell/flavour like you do from bread yeast.
Good luck
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

You can get a yeasty smell if you use much more yeast than you need. Certainly in bread and so I suppose in our hobby.

Geoff
The Baker
Rargh
Novice

Post by Rargh »

Youngs super wine yeast works a treat.
Make a starter, 100 g sugar in 1 l water and let that go for 24 hrs. The resulting ferment will be good enough for 25-35 l of 1.080 wash ;-)