The Biochemistry of Yeast: Yeast Respiration

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

The Biochemistry of Yeast: Yeast Respiration

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

https://www.morebeer.com/articles/how_yeast_use_oxygen" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
The popular literature implies that yeast requires oxygen (it doesn’t) and that yeast cannot bud without oxygen (it can).
Through it flies in the face of popular wisdom, yeast does not go through a respiration phase in the early stages of fermentation. A careful look at yeast metabolism and reproduction reveals a common misunderstanding and points the way to more sophisticated applications of oxygen in the brewery.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Re: The Biochemistry of Yeast: Yeast Respiration

Post by shadylane »

Thanks for sharing info
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

Interesting. I think it's worth noting that if pitch rate is high enough, the requirement for oxygen is minimal or nil in any case. What IS known is that while yeast is multiplying, the oxygen levels in your wort go down. It seems logical that implies it's a requirement for growth/reproduction, but I suppose we could be shifting into issues of correlation vs causation?
butterpants
Swill Maker

Post by butterpants »

O2 is insurance downstream for stronger cell walls and more vital cells, especially when you're repitching over muktiole generations (common practice for pro brewers). You can overpitch to compensate but at least in beer it can lead to perceptible flavor differences. I don't think it matters much in distilling. I oxygenate every beer batch and do not for distilling washes.