dried - fresh yeast equivalents

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

dried - fresh yeast equivalents

Post by Pikey »

Hi peeps,

I'm using "Allinsons" dried bread yeast 125 gm tins approx 1/2 tin for a 25 litre ferment - so that's around 2 1/2 oz for a 25 litre ferment and it's not that dear, but I have a chance to get fresh yeast.

So how much "fresh yeast " (blocks) will I need to achieve a similar "yeast density " in my ferments ? - It is also dispensed by the ounce.

6 oz ?
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: dried - fresh yeast equivalents

Post by fizzix »

I am not a smart man, Pikey, so I don't know if I'm understanding your question.
Are you just asking about fresh yeast to dry yeast conversion?
If so, I know in baking you use just over 2x fresh yeast than dry. So your 6-oz. guess is spot on for 25-liters.
Hopefully that's what you're after.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

fizzix wrote:I am not a smart man, Pikey, so I don't know if I'm understanding your question.
Are you just asking about fresh yeast to dry yeast conversion?
If so, I know in baking you use just over 2x fresh yeast than dry. So your 6-oz. guess is spot on for 25-liters.
Hopefully that's what you're after.
That's exactly what I was looking for - Thanks fizzix :thumbup:
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi Pikey

I've been toying with the idea of using the fresh yeast also would you mind keeping us informed if it makes any difference and worth it?

Thanks in advance

Lee
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Manc wrote:Hi Pikey

I've been toying with the idea of using the fresh yeast also would you mind keeping us informed if it makes any difference and worth it?

Thanks in advance

Lee
Hi Lee, yes I'll give it a try on a couple of "Bacardi(ish)" ferments - which is one of my staples - so I know what sort of output and "taste" (if you can call it that - but SWMBO - will soon let me know if it's NOT Right ! )

Hopefully I'l get them down next week :)

[Edit - I think the cost issue will be pretty minimal, if you ave to pay full whack for both.]
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Thanks Pikey

What's SWMBO? Is it the other half?

I know what you mean on cost but it's just so easy to get the tims from the supermarket. From what I've read people seem to say they give better flavours and what Fizzix said about doubling down is what I've read look forward to hearing from you

Lee
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Manc wrote:

What's SWMBO? Is it the other half?
"She Who Must Be Obeyed" !

("SHE" - Rider HAgard or in my case "Rumpole of the Bailey" :wink:

Manc wrote: it's just so easy to get the tims from the supermarket.
Lee
Which Supermarket mate ? I'm paying around £15 for 10 @ 125 g from the bray !
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Thanks for the translation I'm rubbish at those acroynoms.

I'm in England Morrisons usually have them for 64p sometimes I pay a £1 at Tesco and Asda.

Lee
googe
retired

Post by googe »

3 parts fresh = 1 part dry.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Manc wrote:Thanks for the translation I'm rubbish at those acroynoms.

I'm in England Morrisons usually have them for 64p sometimes I pay a £1 at Tesco and Asda.

Lee
Oh Ok mate - Well I'm pretty close to a couple of Morrissi 8) (is that the plural of "Morrison" I wonder ? :oops:

-I'll go have a look ! - Do you buy their 2kg bags of sugar ?

Yeah I know you're uk mate I reckon I'm around 120 miles away from you ! :wink:
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Manc »

Hi Pikey

I usually buy the 5kg from Tesco a bit dearer but easier to handle think it works out about 55p a kilo you get some funny looks with 6 of them. I might try Costco see what they have.

I'd like to also share a find with you, Do you have a Home Bargains they have mason jars at 1 litre 99p and 500ml at 59p they don't always have them as they sell out quickly but always worth a look I emptied my local one yesterday they had 7 X 1litre left. Probably good job your 120 miles away or you might be fighting me in the aisles for them ( laughing smiley face ).

Seriously though if you are in the area please look me up you're always welcome. Are you North or South?

Regards

Lee
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Manc wrote:Hi Pikey

I usually buy the 5kg from Tesco a bit dearer but easier to handle think it works out about 55p a kilo you get some funny looks with 6 of them. I might try Costco see what they have.

I'd like to also share a find with you, Do you have a Home Bargains they have mason jars at 1 litre 99p and 500ml at 59p they don't always have them as they sell out quickly but always worth a look I emptied my local one yesterday they had 7 X 1litre left. Probably good job your 120 miles away or you might be fighting me in the aisles for them ( laughing smiley face ).

Seriously though if you are in the area please look me up you're always welcome. Are you North or South?

Regards

Lee
Generally get mine from FArm Foods - "Buy 2 x1kg for £1" - Then you get the "Offer" leaflet "Spend £25 get £2.50 off" - SO I get 50 kg of the very finest Beet (or cane) sugar - depends what they have - for £22.50. Just bought some last week. "It's for the missus - she's diabetic" :D

or else "It's winemaking season..."

I'll pm you about the other thing.