Turbo Clear and sour mashing

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Moparnut
Novice

Turbo Clear and sour mashing

Post by Moparnut »

Hey guys.

I'm new to this sour mash thing, but my understanding of it is that I am supposed to save some of the sediment and yeast from my previous ferment (around 25%) to include in the next brew...? I have done this and I'm onto generation three, only this time I used Turbo Clear to clear my mash prior to running it through the still. (It didn't seem to want to stop fermenting, even after 14 days..!)

My question is - have I killed all the yeast in the sediment with the turbo clear rendering it pointless in re-using it? I don't want to drop it in my next batch if its going to kill the new yeast before it even gets a chance to do anything...!

Like I said, I'm new to this kind of stuff, so any suggestions are most appreciated!

Cheers! :D
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Turbo Clear and sour mashing

Post by fizzix »

You can read Uncle Jesse's Sour Mash to get sour mash details.
And usually clearing agents and finings are gelatin based and likely won't kill yeast. It just makes it settle.

Just from a personal stand point, I would save my money and ditch any clearing agents.
Don't be sucked in by the "yeast in a boiler will cause off flavors." It's negligible at worst.