How to use powdered enzymes?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

How to use powdered enzymes?

Post by jb-texshine »

A lot of info on liquid but...
I'm clueless as to powdered enzymes.
Anyone want to clue me in?
Is it still alpha and gluco at their respective temps or what?
Someone give me the rundown please.
If possible, using the Booners protocol as the base but substitute powdered for liquid.
Thanks,
Jb~n~tx
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
greggn
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: How to use powdered enzymes?

Post by greggn »

Based on my limited experience with powdered enzymes ...

I've not found a true high-temp alpha so you'll need to modify your Booner's protocol (which I also follow). So, if you're accustomed to taking your strike water to 200F+, and adding the SEB HTL almost immediately after dumping it on the grains, well ... you'll need to change that.

The working temps for the beta closely mirrors that of GL so there's not much change there.

Having started my AG mashing using SEB liquid enzymes I never felt comfortable with my short experience using powdered. YMMV but probably not.

I drank fifty pounds of feed-store corn
'till my clothes were ratty and torn
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

My experience using powder enzyme is about the same as using malt..

The package of Brewhaus alpha amylase enzyme states that the working range is 152* to 158*F.. and Gluco at room temp or fermenting time..

So if it was me, I would cook it at the 180 - 200* for 1.5 - 2 hrs, then cool it down to the range require, then add the enzymes.. Hope that helps

Mars
Last edited by StillerBoy on Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I know this isn't the question you asked, but I found ferm-solutions.net pretty reasonable in price for the liquid ones which can be used at high temp. They're magic.
Fast shipping too.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

greggn wrote:Based on my limited experience with powdered enzymes ...

I've not found a true high-temp alpha so you'll need to modify your Booner's protocol (which I also follow). So, if you're accustomed to taking your strike water to 200F+, and adding the SEB HTL almost immediately after dumping it on the grains, well ... you'll need to change that.

The working temps for the beta closely mirrors that of GL so there's not much change there.

Having started my AG mashing using SEB liquid enzymes I never felt comfortable with my short experience using powdered. YMMV but probably not.
See, this is exactly where I am at... But
Powdered enzymes are available locally so I figured that I should learn some on how to use them in case of "emergency" mashing,lol.
Never hurts to know how.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

JB~
I order the dry enzymes from Brewhaus.
Absolutely great at busting up corn instantly, just like the liquid SEB.
The high-temp Alpha is dosed at 152°F to 158°F as Stiller Boy related.
The low-temp Gluco is dosed at room temperature with the yeast.
Both 1 tablespoon application.
Amylase.jpg
Brewhaus Link. Just search for "enzymes."
BaxtersDad
Swill Maker

Post by BaxtersDad »

I have been pondering this too...my little bottle of Opti-Mash is apparently two years past expiration! White Labs does not sell to individuals, only to breweries, distilleries and home brew shops. I have been looking for alternatives but none of the powdered enzymes are high temperature tolerant. I am going to see if my local home brew shop can get me some more fresh Opti-Mash enzyme from White Labs. I don't know about SEB, it might be wonderful too, but fresh Opti-Mash is the real McCoy. Thins out corn stew almost magically.
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

Found this while searching Opti-Mash
https://www.whitelabs.com/other-product ... -opti-mash" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

MtRainier wrote:I know this isn't the question you asked, but I found ferm-solutions.net pretty reasonable in price for the liquid ones which can be used at high temp. They're magic.
Fast shipping too.
I have no relationship with Ferm Solutions.
However I asked Dueling Grounds Distillery about their yeast and they were singing the praises of Ferm Solutions.

I also saw a video with Dr. Pat Heist at FS.
I'll post that elsewhere. But he seemed to be a down to earth guy. He mentioned they started out making yeasts etc, then added consulting, now they have their own distillery as well.

I would just call those people and ask them.

https://ferm-solutions.net/about-us/

Nothing to lose.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Nice find, TDick!
TDick
Distiller

Post by TDick »

TDick wrote:
MtRainier wrote:I know this isn't the question you asked, but I found ferm-solutions.net pretty reasonable in price for the liquid ones which can be used at high temp. They're magic.
Fast shipping too.
...I also saw a video with Dr. Pat Heist at FS.
I'll post that elsewhere. But he seemed to be a down to earth guy. He mentioned they started out making yeasts etc, then added consulting, now they have their own distillery as well.
Here is the thread I posted the Ferm Solutions Video on: Distilling 101: The Science Behind Bourbon & Yeast