EC118

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Budapest8485
Swill Maker

EC118

Post by Budapest8485 »

The rule of thumb I'm reading is to keep ABV around 10 percent to avoid stressing the yeast. EC118 is supposed to tolerate 18%. In the wine world, 18 percent means a wine that's out of balance and way too hot to enjoy. Is this a yeast others have experimented with taking to higher ABV for distilling? I'm not suggesting 18% and pushing it to it's limit...but getting 15% would be a nice bump in the still. Using stripping runs, charging the boiler with the low wines, and making vodka, do you predict an off product?
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Re: EC118

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Why don't you run an 8% and a 15% , and you report to us what you find? Then your contributing not just challenging?

I look forward to your hands on results :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
Budapest8485
Swill Maker

Post by Budapest8485 »

ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Why don't you run an 8% and a 15% , and you report to us what you find? Then your contributing not just challenging?

That's a great idea. The problem is I'm not a great taster... If somethings not right, or even not "as good," I might not detect it but people I serve it to could.

If I were pot stilling something, I would think there's more chance of something off coming through. But since I'm reflux stilling with the intention of watering back stripping runs, maybe a higher abv would be okay. I want a flavorless vodka I can use a mixer.
3 x 60 inch Bokabob, 8 gallon boiler, 4500w

3 inch pot still head, reduce 2, then to 48 inch 1/2 condenser. 8 gallon boiler, 4500w
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Budapest8485 wrote:
ShineonCrazyDiamond wrote:Why don't you run an 8% and a 15% , and you report to us what you find? Then your contributing not just challenging?

That's a great idea. The problem is I'm not a great taster... If somethings not right, or even not "as good," I might not detect it.
This, you WILL be able to tell the difference offstill. Do it...instead of just yapping.
Budapest8485 wrote:...since I'm reflux stilling with the intention of watering back stripping runs, maybe a higher abv would be okay. I want a flavorless vodka I can use a mixer.
It won’t give you what you want. Pushing the ferment will produce congeners, contributing to flavors you won’t want in a neutral (vodka).

And since you’re going to use a Bokakob reflux column for the stripping run anyway, you shouldn’t have to worry about trying to get the proof so high. The reflux ratio will get you there. So, you’ll get a high proof product with a lot of solventy flavors if you try to maximize the ABV in the ferment.

So, “go for it” if you want. But don’t come back here asking why you F’d it up. Just sayin’...
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

I think you've found that high ABV isn't held in too much regard, Budapest.

I pushed EC-1118 unintentionally to 12+% and found it slightly harsh and biting on a sugar run for Odin's Gin.
It was a marathon session and it got blended with a considerable quantity of lower % neutral and was carbon filtered.
Of course, the tangerine peel helped fix it and it's now a favorite drink, but I had to work on it.
I'm a cheap bastard but even that mistake was too close for comfort.