Too much nutrients?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Too much nutrients?

Post by Oldvine Zin »

I tried something different for me on my current HBB ferment. Using US 05 yeast I added a bit of Fermaid O at the start as per recommendations from Scott labs and a bit more midway. I had a great healthy ferment and it was down to .999 a few days ago, it's still at .999 and still bubbling away. Thoughts are that all the potential alc is over and the yeast is still thriving on the nutrients ? prob will let it sit until the bubbling stops but curious if anyone has had this happen or any thoughts about it.

OZV
Manc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Too much nutrients?

Post by Manc »

Hi OZV

If the gravity hasn't moved it's probably just trapped CO2 still escaping.

Lee
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

Sometimes yeast are like teenage kids, they need a little kick in the ass to settle down. Light kick to the fermenter will release trapped CO2
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Transferred all the juice from the 70 gal fermenter to carboys a couple of days ago, still producing co2 even at cold temps?? I've never had a HBB go this long. Should be an interesting run.

OVZ
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Ok ive been doing some research and I ended up using Diammoniun phosphate and urea as a yeast nutrient in my latest wash. I knew it was supposed to help speed up the process but I'm worried here this is what I did....3 gallon spring water on to boil once there I added 4 pounds cracked corn(I used a sparging/bag brew bag) reduced heat a bit left on for 90 120 minutes I iodine tested so I know I had starch I took that bag out poured my corn juice in cooler took temp and added water till I got down to 155. Added the bag to the cooler and put in .5 lb malted 2 row and.5 lb malted rye I let that sit 45 60 minutes. I stirred every so often I topped off to 8 gallon and temp was 80 90 ish. I added10 lb pure cane sugar then 8 teaspoons yeast nutrient.. stir a bit then I added my sugar water dady starter and gave a stir.30 minutes later it was sizzling a bit so I was happy the next day I noticed warmth (which is normal right) I opened it to have a peek and the by product smell knocked me on my ass and its not really bubbling like it could be done I got sg of 1.054 when I started before yeast I'm thinking of checking the gravity. my runs have been finishing out at .990.is that nutrient supposed to "turbocharge" my washes ? I'm used to 7 to 10 day ferments or am I just stalled what would you do?? Greatly appreciate your input
Durhommer
Novice
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....