Still Spirits Whiskey Yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Still Spirits Whiskey Yeast?

Post by fizzix »

Maybe a sucker is born every minute, but I took the plunge on this pricey yeast. 1kilo (2.2-lbs.) for $49.50

I'll be cooking up a shitload of 60% corn/20% 2-row/20% rye to fill some matured mini-barrels I'll be emptying soon,
and have been longing for something other than run-of-the-mill bakers yeast.

Man, this stuff smells awesome when you open the bag. Smells like a grain warehouse! Hope that's a good sign.
Anyone use this yeast? Really curious in your experience with it.
yeast.JPG
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Re: Still Spirits Whiskey Yeast?

Post by SaltyStaves »

I don't think they make anything that isn't a turdbro.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

From the verbiage in their ads, it appears this yeast is packaged with the same nutrient mix contained in their other turbos, which includes a gluco enzyme.
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I use this. $11 plus shipping for 500g vacuum pack.

https://ferm-solutions.net/product/fsi-921-whiskey-rum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

SaltyStaves wrote:I don't think they make anything that isn't a turdbro.
Say it ain't so, Salty!
Before I bought I researched quite a few sites looking specifically for that dreaded word on this strain.
Still Spirits plainly marks "Turbo" on their other packets, but this yeast makes no mention.
One Q&A with Still Spirits even mentioned using this OR a turbo.

Well thanks guys for the inputs and I'll find out soon enough what quality or lack I'm dealing with.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

They also make a similar one that they market as a rum yeast. I bought a pack once but after having a good read of the packaging never ended up using it.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Heya, Saltbush.
Another thing that impressed me is that it says "used in professional distilleries" but that could mean
just one of the ingredients by the way they word it. I shall report back when the verdict is in.
See ya in the chat room, pal.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

I have used it. Nothing to write home about but not bad like turbos
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Allmyexsliveinhell wrote:I have used it. Nothing to write home about but not bad like turbos
Thanks, pal, for pretty much alleviating the turbo concern.
I'll see how this stuff treats me. It certainly is the most aromatically pleasing yeast I've ever encountered,
whether that "richness" means anything.

I appreciate everyone's input and will be stillin' soon.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Does it have a recipe on it ? Usually you can tell from the amount of sugar it says to use.

I never seen anything Still Spirits that didn't say "Turbo" eiither - but I know with a turbo you have to use a shedload to get the nutrients in there.

Do let us know how it turns out 8)
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

No recipes pikey.
Chauncey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Chauncey »

Yeah it's pretty close to the prestige whiskey yeast with amalyse or liquor qwik
<no stopping to corner anytime [] no parking passenger zone>

When people tell me I'll regret that in the morning, I sleep till noon.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Fizzix
If you want a good whisky yeast, I recommend picking up some fermentis M-1. It’s not cheap, but it’s way better then the still spirits whisky yeast.
The M-1 has produced great results consistently for me.
Take a look at the spec sheet:
https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upload ... -M1_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

I recommend the M-1 over the red star, alcotec and the still spirits version.
Lallemands MW is also good for malted and the GW is good for wheat or corn.
Just a suggestion if you’re looking for a good all-around whisky yeast.
Cheers
Irish.
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Thank you, Irish. Nice résumé on the M-1, and I've put all 3 recommendations on my "check this out" list.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Irishgnome wrote: If you want a good whisky yeast, I recommend picking up some fermentis M-1. It’s not cheap, but it’s way better then the still spirits whisky yeast.
The M-1 has produced great results consistently for me.
Take a look at the spec sheet:
https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upload ... -M1_EN.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hey Irishgnome,

Can you share some of your thoughts on this yeast and what grain bills you have had success with? I went in on the 500gm M-1 pack with another HD distiller and am itching to give it a try.

Thanks,

Twisted Brick
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

Twisted,
I’ll start out by saying that this is not the bible for M-1, it’s just what I do.
I pull out of the fridge two hours before rehydrating, using at least four tablespoons to 10 gallons. I’ve always rehydrated with wort at 80°F +/- a degree (rehydrate for 10-15 min.). Seems to produce higher alcohol content if you keep it fermenting right around 70 - 75°F, this will take a day or two longer to run dry at the lower temps.

Best white dog with the M-1: 20#’s rolled oats, 2-3#’s 6-Row barley and Enzymes α-GAL and invertase (I smash up six beano pills).

Best scotch style whisky with the M-1: 19#’s Golden Promise malt, 3#’s Peated Malt and gypsum or oyster shells.

Another good one is: 15#’s Corn, 3#’s Rye, 2#’s 6-Row Barley and gypsum or oyster shells.

I have used this with Honey Bear, Chocolate Sunday, as well as sugar based recipes like Odins corn flake & rye bread, UJSSM and Gerber. I have used for a few sugar heads as well.

I like the M-1, because I get consistent results, no off flavors and no harsh smells.

Hope that gives you some inspiration Twisted.

As a side note - I can source this at smaller quantities if you want more in the future without the salty cost of a brick.

Cheers
Irish
"There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists until it's too late to do anything about it."
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Irishgnome wrote:
Hope that gives you some inspiration Twisted.

As a side note - I can source this at smaller quantities if you want more in the future without the salty cost of a brick.

Cheers
Irish
Inspiration indeed! Thanks for your yeast protocol and the offer on the smaller quantities of M-1. If its okay, I'm gonna PM you re: your handling of oats.

Thanx,

Twisted

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

MtRainier wrote:I use this. $11 plus shipping for 500g vacuum pack.

https://ferm-solutions.net/product/fsi-921-whiskey-rum/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
These are crazy cheap!
What have you made with the 921 so far?
Results?

The enzymes are cheap as well.

Seems to good to be true.

Thanks for the tip!

Cheers.
MtRainier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MtRainier »

I don't want to derail fizzix's thread too much, but I've had good luck with it. It seems to do great from 75F up to 90F without a lot of extra flavor. It ferments out in 4-5 days.

I learned about it from a local micro-distiller who uses the 921 and makes stuff I like and learned about the company itself when Uncle Jesse or HDNB or someone posted up about the enzymes as an alternate source in case anyone needed them when pinto was in trouble. The version of alpha enzyme from that site, for instance, has a datasheet that says you can run it all the way up to boiling without destroying it, which is great for corn.

Their shipping is not discounted at all since they're really targeted to craft distilleries not us home users who just want a tiny big of product, but they ship fast and have good stuff.

I'm going to try the M-1 next, actually. The 921 is fast, but I think I'd be interested in a bit more flavor and like experimenting.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

MtRainier wrote:I don't want to derail fizzix's thread....
If the mods don't mind, I don't mind. Good info coming in.
Irishgnome
Swill Maker

Post by Irishgnome »

MtRainier,

I don’t think we’re trailing off topic here. The Still Spirits isn’t a horrible yeast, the price just isn’t justified.

I just order a few different yeast strands from Ferm-Solutions. Once I run out of my SEB, I’ll place an order for some of their version.

Shipping was pretty cheap for me because I’m fairly close by, I only paid $13 and change.

If anyone is looking to try M-1, but doesn’t want to throw down $50+ for a brick, here is a link for 100g (only $13):

https://brewchatter.com/products/safspi ... syeast100g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers
Irish
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Well my thanks to Mt.Rainier and dieselduo who pretty much simultaneously turned me on to Ferm Solutions.
Received these yeasts on my doorstep today:
Yeast-Ferm.jpg
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

For the record, this Still Spirits Whiskey yeast is a slow and steady ferment.
4th day on a 60corn 40barley mash, and it's kept a 1 bubble per second beat from start to now.
No heater belt either.

My other ~6 mashes of the same were bakers yeast requiring a heater, and had rapid bubbling the first day
petering out on a diminishing scale throughout the week.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

SaltyStaves wrote:I don't think they make anything that isn't a turdbro.
Well they must have heard me... Was in a homebrew store today and they were promoting the new range.
https://stillspirits.com/collections/ye ... st-whiskey" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Looked on the back of the packet to read the ingredients and the only additive was preservative (E141).
Stated 'Made in the UK'.

They also have a rum yeast which isn't turbo. I had to lol at the Gin and Vodka yeasts. :P
NickyJ
Novice

Post by NickyJ »

Has anyone else gained any more experience to share regarding these Still Spirits yeasts? I've recently used the Rum yeast and it threw a phenomenal amount of sulphur, I could smell it from outside of the fermentation fridge. I haven't distilled yet but I'm concerned that there is little chance of this batch turning out well.
SaltyStaves
Distiller

Post by SaltyStaves »

NickyJ wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:30 pm I've recently used the Rum yeast and it threw a phenomenal amount of sulphur, I could smell it from outside of the fermentation fridge. I haven't distilled yet but I'm concerned that there is little chance of this batch turning out well.
First rum I ever made was a sulphur bomb. Fortunately my pot still has copper in all the right places and none of the sulphur came through from the stripping run.
The same rum is just over 3 years old now and doing just fine (although a little boring).
vexicon
Novice

Post by vexicon »

NickyJ wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:30 pm Has anyone else gained any more experience to share regarding these Still Spirits yeasts? I've recently used the Rum yeast and it threw a phenomenal amount of sulphur, I could smell it from outside of the fermentation fridge. I haven't distilled yet but I'm concerned that there is little chance of this batch turning out well.
I just used the Still Spirits Whiskey yeast for my first ever ferments. It was suggested to me by my local brewer's store, as they had it in stock and is aimed right at my usual room temperatures.
I was able to use the entire package (up to 6.something gallons) to do a 5gal cornmeal/sugar wash. It finished up at around 5 days with an ABV of about 10%, and I distilled a product that was palatable. Then I used all the leftover stuff(forgive my lack of vocabulary) to do a "sour mash" using about 1.5 gallons of backset with added sugar and corn meal. It's currently still sitting, but I will rack it off and distill it in the next day or two. The difference between the two ferments is substantial. The second ferment took off like a racehorse and finished in about the same amount of time but with a distinct "sour mash" note on what is still currently in the fermenter.
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

I had a go with the M-1. In fact, it was a gift from a good little Irish friend of mine (thank you very much :angel: ). I'm too novice with whiskeys to know whether it came out right or not, have to get some age on it.

I cam across a 500g brick of SafSpirit USW-6 at my local homebrew shop for $30 and will continue my bourbon adventures trying that, though I haven't gotten into it yet. https://fermentis.com/wp-content/upload ... SW6_EN.pdf
Big Stogie
Swill Maker

Post by Big Stogie »

I’m using the Ferm Solutions yeasts, 927 and 921 for sprits and rum, with great results, I just got the vodka yeast have not tried it yet. Their enzymes work well too. They have there own distillery and are very helpful with helping you get the process down
When the student is ready the teacher will emerge.

Flute Journey viewtopic.php?f=17&t=69736
DetroitDIY
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DetroitDIY »

So Big Stogie, stupid question time... What makes a vodka yeast a vodka yeast? Do you just want a good workhorse with no flavor profile?