Yeast supply in the UK

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Asbo
Novice

Yeast supply in the UK

Post by Asbo »

Quick question , relatively new to this decided to step away from turbo yeast and use DADY with DAP does anyone have links to buying these in the UK i want to buy in bulk to save money so not buying one packet at a time from home brew stores , ide appreciate the help cheers.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Yeast supply in the UK

Post by Swedish Pride »

Bakers yeast is the ticket
Don't be a dick
ideasinbeer
Novice

Post by ideasinbeer »

Nutrients can be had at any homebrew beer shop.
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

I've not tied it yet but looking at Lalvin EC1118 available from Amazon £14.99 for 50g. Not been able to find dady without prohibitive delivery charges.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

EC1118 is good for fruit and neutral washes.......its a slow working yeast though in my opinion.
Plain old bakers yeast works well for many other things.
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 am EC1118 is good for fruit and neutral washes.......its a slow working yeast though in my opinion.
Does anyone here use both together? Then the baker's yeast could act as nutrient for the champagne yeast as the abv gets higher.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Alcophile wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:38 pm
Saltbush Bill wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:30 am EC1118 is good for fruit and neutral washes.......its a slow working yeast though in my opinion.
Does anyone here use both together? Then the baker's yeast could act as nutrient for the champagne yeast as the abv gets higher.
No value in getting the abv higher, only bad tastes live there.

If you want to use yeast as a nutrient (perfectly acceptable) then you need to boil it first to break the cell walls.

Bakers yeast as stated is still the better option; It's a tolerant and cheap producer.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd
Site Donor

Post by Boozewaves »

Asbo wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:30 am Quick question , relatively new to this decided to step away from turbo yeast and use DADY with DAP does anyone have links to buying these in the UK i want to buy in bulk to save money so not buying one packet at a time from home brew stores , ide appreciate the help cheers.
I am in the UK too and I have used allinsons dried bakers yeast before (yellow tin , in most supermarkets) and it works well like others have said

I recently bought 1 lb of red star DADY . I got mine from ebay from an American seller .£13 for yeast and £15 post .I just could not find a decent amount in the U.K it was all single sachets for £4 so not a very good deal and it was/is a lot cheaper in the long run to buy the one from America. Out of curiousity I checked again as 2 months have passed since then and it seems the same

before that (quite a while ago) I was able to buy 500g of no-name generic DADY for £12 with free post but that ebay sellers stopped selling . think that was actually cheaper than buying tins of allinsons and I got used to using that yeast while I was getting the hang of the practical side of distilling so I bought DADY again

red star DADY yeast won't work for me unless I make a yeast starter and I have wasted a bit of this new yeast coming to that conclusion . my previous DADY yeast could be scattered on the surface and it would do its thing . red star won't . on the positive side making yeast starters means I will use less yeast per batch now
Become a distiller : start here viewtopic.php?t=52975
Alcophile
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Alcophile »

What abv did the Allinsons yeast tolerate, I read that some baker's yeast only managed about 8%?
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Alcophile wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:45 am What abv did the Allinsons yeast tolerate, I read that some baker's yeast only managed about 8%?
Are you making fuel? why do you need more? Stressing yeast to high ABV leaves you with a lot of garbage to remove and ultimately reduces time/yield.

If you're planning to drink what you make and need more, add another fermenter.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Alcophile wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:18 am I've not tied it yet but looking at Lalvin EC1118 available from Amazon £14.99 for 50g. Not been able to find dady without prohibitive delivery charges.
Please...before you spend 15 quid on yeast, at least give bakers a go...you wont be disappointed.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Aitch1969
Novice

Post by Aitch1969 »

I am confused
Been looking at lots of recipes tried and true etc. Many of which call for bakers yeast and state 10% or higher abv ferments and great tasting final product, however, as in this thread lots if comments saying 8% max from bakers yeast and anything more your making fuel.

Here in UK options seem to be

Cheap - backers yeast upto 8%
Mid price - turbo yeasts - skys the limit%
DADY - IMPORT from US shipping 4-5x cost of the yeast.
Aitch1969
Novice

Post by Aitch1969 »

Surely there are good yeasts at reasonable prices in UK that will give higher (not reduculous) abv ferments and good taste
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Any yeast will give crap flavours if you push it to hard.......that is why turbo yeast gives crap results taste wise.
People here are into making quality not quantity.
After hundreds of years of trial and error commercial distilleries keep the abv of their washes and mashes low.......do you think they might do that for a reason?