dropping my numbers

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

dropping my numbers

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

Hey guys and gals,
my numbers started off with a 1.060 on a "crushed apple" sugar wash... I did the usual pitching of yeast and waited for the ferment. It bubbled a bit, and I kept an eye on it. Over that course of a week, it's gone down to 1.020.... Am I asking too much to try and get it down even further?
I'm keeping a fish tank thermometer in it as its in the garage and a bit chilly now. Pitched a bit more yeast and nutrients in hopes that it'll drop....
Any added advice?
They say, "you are what you eat"... Then I'm fast, easy and cheap!
CopperFiend
Swill Maker

Re: dropping my numbers

Post by CopperFiend »

Cover it in insulation (towels or bubble wrap etc) to keep more of the heat in. Sometimes it will not go that low because there can be unfermentable solids in the wash which cause the SG to be higher, even if there arent any more fermentable sugars in there.
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

I've put the wash through a strainer/siv so there aren't any solids to deal with. I'll re-wrap it and put a heat light over top of it.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

Of course it should go down. You should usually expect a wine-like FG when measuring the filtered liquid. Whether you use added yeast or sourdough it should get your FG down. Leave more time and if it doesn't go down mix and increase the temperature a little.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

What does it taste like?
Grappa-Gringo
Swill Maker

Post by Grappa-Gringo »

tested it this morning and I have SUCCESS!!!! dropped down to .999 Thanks for all the input gang...