Yellow label yeast?

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

VictoryRay
Novice

Yellow label yeast?

Post by VictoryRay »

Jesse did a Lazy Vodka video recently. What was the yeast he used?

Thanks in advance!
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Yellow label yeast?

Post by still_stirrin »

Hey...go to his youtube and ask the question there. Asking here will get you opinions. Asking Jesse directly will get you an answer with more certainty.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

He's usually pretty good at listing the ingredients in the video description. Just use the search bar on the "Videos" tab of his channel page.

I bet it was this stuff though: https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=76531

Duck
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

still_stirrin wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:31 am Hey...go to his youtube and ask the question there. Asking here will get you opinions.
+1 on asking the question..

But on the other hand, why not read about it on this thread..
https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=76531

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

This is the yeast "Angel Leaven", in truth is a mix of yeast-enzymes and other organisms ..
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Demy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:43 pm This is the yeast "Angel Leaven", in truth is a mix of yeast-enzymes and other organisms ..
The Angel Rice Leaven I've got is nothing like that and is not the "Yellow label" either. Angel sell a lot of different fermentation products.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:04 pm
Demy wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:43 pm This is the yeast "Angel Leaven", in truth is a mix of yeast-enzymes and other organisms ..
The Angel Rice Leaven I've got is nothing like that and is not the "Yellow label" either. Angel sell a lot of different fermentation products.
The product is called "Angel Leaven". I know it produces various products for various uses, we call it "yellow label" but its real name is what I wrote.
angel-leaven(1).pdf
(247.67 KiB) Downloaded 415 times
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I had a good look at my packaging and the word 'leaven' doesn't appear anywhere on it. Also, the name that is printed on the packaging, "Starter of Liquor Making", doesn't appear in the PDF, hence my confusion.

I'm reluctant to call it "Yellow Label" because Angel make so many products that there may be another product that has a yellow label.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

The yellow label refers to the packaging which is silver with a yellow square on the front at the 11o’clock position along with starter for liquor making
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
frostbite
Novice

Post by frostbite »

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

What does the Chinese script in the yellow rectangle say?

I'd been using this for many months before someone, maybe Jesse, referred to it as Yellow label. I had to go and have a look at my bag to see if it had a yellow label somewhere :D

To save any confusion in my shed/head/refrigerator/orders, all of my notes use the names that the various manufacturers have used on their packaging.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:54 am I had a good look at my packaging and the word 'leaven' doesn't appear anywhere on it. Also, the name that is printed on the packaging, "Starter of Liquor Making", doesn't appear in the PDF, hence my confusion.

I'm reluctant to call it "Yellow Label" because Angel make so many products that there may be another product that has a yellow label.
From the photo in the PDF you can't see well but if you look carefully, next to the yellow label (under the brand) there is a black writing that says just "Starter of Liquor Making" (always in that pdf, I mean). The document I took it right from the official website, I add what time I contacted the company by email to ask for more product info so I have a certain security on what I say (even if you can always make mistakes!). I specified the correct name because I often read names of "fantasy" that bring the members of the forum to confusion .... and we don't want to confusion :lol:
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

NZChris wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:15 pm What does the Chinese script in the yellow rectangle say?
The same as the text to the right of the yellow rectangle:

酿酒曲

It translates (very) roughly as "brew alcohol yeast", or what they translate as "starter of liquor making".
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Demy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:19 am From the photo in the PDF you can't see well but if you look carefully, next to the yellow label (under the brand) there is a black writing that says just "Starter of Liquor Making" (always in that pdf, I mean).
I couldn't read that at any magnification.
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

NZChris wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 pm
Demy wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:19 am From the photo in the PDF you can't see well but if you look carefully, next to the yellow label (under the brand) there is a black writing that says just "Starter of Liquor Making" (always in that pdf, I mean).
I couldn't read that at any magnification.
I see. This is a random site (instead of the usual Aliexpress) as you see the package is identical and the name is identical. As mentioned a long time ago I asked the company directly via email. I don't know what other tests of what I should take to attention. https://distilleryking.com/products/ang ... ber-1-2018
VictoryRay
Novice

Post by VictoryRay »

Thanks for the help fellas. I have some coming on a slow boat from China....

Cheers
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

i have had a packet in the fridge for quite a while, waiting to use it.
i have heard a couple of rumblings from experienced blokes, saying although the stuff works very well, they were not happy with the taste it imparts.
Sarge410884
Novice

Post by Sarge410884 »

I just com>pleted a mash of 10 lbs cracked corn and 10 lbs of brown rice using yellow label angel yeast. Finished in about 8 days at 17%. Taste is very dry but I think it will come out with a good finish for a whiskey.
Sarge4
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Has anyone done any grains other than corn or rice. The Angel yeast site blog claims its good for any starch grain.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Yes many people have done different grains, Ive done rye, and barley. I wouldnt have a clue where the angel yeast site bog is.
bluc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bluc »

.i have not done wheat, sorgumh or rice yet
NormandieStill
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by NormandieStill »

I've done a first batch of wheat. Followed the instructions substituting wheat for "stuff". :wink:
"I have a potstill that smears like a fresh plowed coon on the highway" - Jimbo

A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers
Swamptrout
Novice

Post by Swamptrout »

I have done oats, barley, wheat, rice and corn
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

Swamptrout wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:40 am I have done oats, barley, wheat, rice and corn
Friday, I raided the cupboard for expired oats, grits (corn), pearl barley and tossed it in a pot of boiling water along with a bunch of old rye bread (no preservatives) and some dried out cooked rice the old lady had hidden in the refrigerator. I cooked it for an hour or so until it turned into the largest clump of thick starchy goop I've ever seen. I let it sit overnight and added enough water to make about 6 gallons. This I split between two five gallon buckets and put "Yellow Label" in one and "Nuruk (Korean equivalent)" in the other. The first day I punched the head down twice and snapped the airlock lid on both buckets last night. Both are currently bubbling pretty hard. I'll let you know how it turns out.
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Does anyone know if it's true that yellow label angel for liquor making ,makes koji rice, so therefore there is no need to add koji for making sake as opposed to rice wine?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

More information here~~~~> viewtopic.php?f=3&t=76531
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 1:26 am Yes many people have done different grains, Ive done rye, and barley. I wouldnt have a clue where the angel yeast site bog is.
https://en.angelyeast.com/blog/distille ... lling.html
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

v-child wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 8:45 am
Swamptrout wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 3:40 am I have done oats, barley, wheat, rice and corn
Friday, I raided the cupboard for expired oats, grits (corn), pearl barley and tossed it in a pot of boiling water along with a bunch of old rye bread (no preservatives) and some dried out cooked rice the old lady had hidden in the refrigerator. I cooked it for an hour or so until it turned into the largest clump of thick starchy goop I've ever seen. I let it sit overnight and added enough water to make about 6 gallons. This I split between two five gallon buckets and put "Yellow Label" in one and "Nuruk (Korean equivalent)" in the other. The first day I punched the head down twice and snapped the airlock lid on both buckets last night. Both are currently bubbling pretty hard. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Yes most likely this yeast will ferment the kitchen sink into something you could clean your floor with
SGB
Swill Maker

Post by SGB »

They claim it will do just about any kind of starch. They also claim to make a good beer yeast Angel Lagar yeast BF27 still looking for that
https://en.angelyeast.com/blog/distille ... -bf27.html
v-child
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by v-child »

SGB wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:57 am

Yes most likely this yeast will ferment the kitchen sink into something you could clean your floor with
"Most likely"? Explain.