Thats bananas!

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Thats bananas!

Post by Deplorable »

Last weekend I squeezed my casual corn. And left it to settle out and clear. It's been hot here and today I came home from draining one of my barrels I had at the winery, and there was a faint smell of sweet, over ripe bananas in the garage.
I opened my fermenter and found this lacto infection. The smell of over ripe bananas or banana taffy is crazy.
I can't get to this to strip it until next weekend. Any risk to waiting another 5 days to distill this?
20210815_212116.jpg
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Tummydoc
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Thats bananas!

Post by Tummydoc »

The lactobacillus will consume alcohol and lower your ABV so if fermented dry you'd like to run it soon. Not sure a week is a big deal, and it's what you can fit into your schedule so I wouldnt sweat it.
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

You just have to keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't morph into other flavors before you distill it. It might even get better with time.

The best banana essence I've ever made had little to do with bananas and everything to do with dumb luck :D. It's a jar plucked out of a line up of cut jars when doing an All Feints run.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

NZChris wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:02 pm You just have to keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't morph into other flavors before you distill it. It might even get better with time.

The best banana essence I've ever made had little to do with bananas and everything to do with dumb luck :D. It's a jar plucked out of a line up of cut jars when doing an All Feints run.
Thanks, looking forward to seeing/tasting the results.
This and 3 more bags of corn yet to be mashed, will be combined to fill a 5 gallon barrel. So who knows what the final flavor outcome will be.
The barrel first fill was bourbon, then malbec wine for 9 months, rinsed and now 100% corn.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
jonnys_spirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jonnys_spirit »

Here's some notes on lacto -

https://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtop ... =3&t=67074

I picked up a jar of sulphuric to add some along with infected backset that I keep for spirit runs..

Cheers!
-j
————
i prefer my mash shaken, not stirred
————
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Cool fruit flavor list here.

And, BTW, it's banonna. :lolno:
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Demy
Master of Distillation

Post by Demy »

I happed to smell of banana when I malt the corn, after the period of maceration in the water, I believe they are the microorganisms naturally present and I once had your own post fermentation situation but if distilled in time you won't have problems, rather a It will improve the product ...
Slivovitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Slivovitz »

Twisted Brick wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:29 am .
Cool fruit flavor list here.

And, BTW, it's banonna. :lolno:
Very good read!