Accidental fermentation??

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

DRHillier
Site Donor
Site Donor

Accidental fermentation??

Post by DRHillier »

I deep fried a turkey which went off without a hitch. I then cleaned the pot out with soap, hot water, and lots of scrubbing. My wife then asked to use the pot to boil down the carcass and make turkey soup. She used water, salt, pepper, carrots, onions, and celery. I used the pressure cooker and made 2 cups of brown rice. Everything was transferred into a cast iron pot, and dinner was served. She fell asleep in her chair early in the evening and forgot to put the leftovers into the fridge. We both went to work in the morning and got home around the same time this evening. The house smelled like ass when I walked in the door. I thought the grand kid crapped his pants. It wasn't him. I looked in the kitchen and found the pot with the leftovers in it, removed the lid, and yep. That was it. I grabbed a spoon and pushed it into the soup, it started to bubble. I'm assuming that it was fermenting. I've been reading about fermentation here lately and I'm not sure if, or how that was what was going on. Anyone have any ideas? The smell was terrible, almost like diarrhea, it was bubbling pretty good. But with no sugar, what could have been fermenting? And there was no yeast put in there either. I'm perplexed. It sat for less than 24 hours. I put it all down the toilet and washed everything out. This was all accidental, and I doubt it'll be going into the t&t section. I wouldn't recommend replicating the recipe either. But I'm interested in what the hell was going on in that pot and why?
It is hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: Accidental fermentation??

Post by still_stirrin »

DRHillier wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:24 pm… Anyone have any ideas? The smell was terrible, almost like diarrhea… But I'm interested in what the hell was going on in that pot and why?
I have an idea that you’re a sloppy housekeeper!

There are many airborne contaminants and bacteria that can cause spoilage of organic material. If you’re in the habit of leaving food remains open in the house for hours (or days) after preparation, then it is highly likely you’ve propagated the flora.

Rotting meat, especially fatty meat products will quickly smell bad. Have you ever smelled dead animals by the roadside? Yuk, it’s a smell you won’t forget.

So, don’t turn this into a “science project”. Clean up your house. And don’t get lazy after a big dinner and leave food out overnight next time. Shame on you.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

Fermentation refers to yeast converting sugar to CO2 and alcohol. In meat it was undoubtedly a bacteria purifying the meat.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

putrefying and purifying are polar opposites. :roll:
be water my friend
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by subbrew »

cob wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:58 pm putrefying and purifying are polar opposites. :roll:
special bacteria? Thank you for catching that, at least you knew what I meant as opposed to what my fingers typed