Angel Yeast Question

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Angel Yeast Question

Post by Bradster68 »

This isn't a question about angel yeast,but I'm hoping I can get some help here?
If bakers yeast comfortably produces a wash of about 8abv and maybe even a little higher like 9 or 10 all fermenting Conditions met. So if my OG was say 1.12 and my final 1.05 gives me about 9ABV. Does this mean that the wash fermented fully? I had no sweet taste and no bubbles coming off. Or does a wash need to ferment dry everytime to .99?
Iv had my Ted's hit .99 consistently. This is a molasses wash, so does that have something to do with the high FG?
I drink so much now,on the back of my license it's a list of organs I need.
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

2 things from what I've read on this site:
1. I think molasses has unfermentable sugars in it, so it won't go completely dry
2. Yeast may have quit since they chewed through 0.070 worth of sugar. ABV is now too high for them to thrive. You may get some puking on stripping runs, so use an anti-foam agent
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
howie
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by howie »

Bradster68 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm This isn't a question about angel yeast,but I'm hoping I can get some help here?
If bakers yeast comfortably produces a wash of about 8abv and maybe even a little higher like 9 or 10 all fermenting Conditions met. So if my OG was say 1.12 and my final 1.05 gives me about 9ABV. Does this mean that the wash fermented fully? I had no sweet taste and no bubbles coming off. Or does a wash need to ferment dry everytime to .99?
Iv had my Ted's hit .99 consistently. This is a molasses wash, so does that have something to do with the high FG?
i think sugar washes give fairly accurate OG & FG
molasses washes, can give strange readings (the 2 going at the moment were OG of 1.100)
i believe we have talked about a specific gravity 'swing' of 70 points (1120 - 1050 = 70) is an indication that the wash has finished fermenting :think:
but tasting and lack of bubbles are good indicators too(and patience :) )
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:06 pm I think molasses has unfermentable sugars in it, so it won't go completely dry
If you mean dry by taste your in for a rude shock.....fully fermented molasses wash is enough to make your face pucker, might as well suck a lemon.
Nothing sweet left in there.
Teddysad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Teddysad »

Molasses does indeed have unfermentable which stay in solution and hence mean the density will be higher than 1.000.
You can lead a horse to drink, but you cant make it water!
You can lead a horticulture but can you teach a prototype?

Proverbs 31:6-7
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:24 pm
rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:06 pm I think molasses has unfermentable sugars in it, so it won't go completely dry
If you mean dry by taste your in for a rude shock.....fully fermented molasses wash is enough to make your face pucker, might as well suck a lemon.
Absolutely. Mine was almost bitter to the taste.
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

Teddysad wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:26 pm Molasses does indeed have unfermentable which stay in solution and hence mean the density will be higher than 1.000.
Good to know. I ran it tonight.🍻
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

howie wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 5:42 pm
Bradster68 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 2:57 pm This isn't a question about angel yeast,but I'm hoping I can get some help here?
i think sugar washes give fairly accurate OG & FG
molasses washes, can give strange readings (the 2 going at the moment were OG of 1.100)
i believe we have talked about a specific gravity 'swing' of 70 points (1120 - 1050 = 70) is an indication that the wash has finished fermenting :think:
but tasting and lack of bubbles are good indicators too(and patience :)

The first one I did I didn't have a hydrometer, just went by eye. Those readings threw me
Bradster68
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bradster68 »

rubberduck71 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:06 pm 2 things from what I've read on this site:
1. I think molasses has unfermentable sugars in it, so it won't go completely dry
2. Yeast may have quit since they chewed through 0.070 worth of sugar. ABV is now too high for them to thrive. You may get some puking on stripping runs, so use an anti-foam agent
I always leave tons of head space and my propane don't go that fast. My electric element is coming soon
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

Saltbush Bill wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 6:24 pm
Dry in this sense I meant gravity-wise (1.000). Bad word choice on my part!
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season
Snickers902
Novice

Post by Snickers902 »

Ongoing study at Hamilton College, NY.

Enzymes serve as catalysts to many biological processes, and so they are not used up in reactions and they may be recovered and reused.
Snickers902
Novice

Post by Snickers902 »

Ongoing study at Hamilton College, NY.

Enzymes serve as catalysts to many biological processes, and so they are not used up in reactions and they may be recovered and reused.