Saison Yeast in a Rum

These little beasts do all the hard work. Share how to keep 'em happy and working hard.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Lights Out
Novice

Saison Yeast in a Rum

Post by Lights Out »

I wonder if anyone has tried this.... I have a whisky backlog to clear, both in terms of finishing a drum of LME, and running some low wines too, to fill a 10 litre barrel. Once that's done I intend on moving to Rum, so I have some time to think this over...

I just recently brewed a Saison using yeast from a small local supplier in Scotland. These guys mostly repackage yeast and their prices are great. So the stuff I used gave me somewhere between 99 and 100% attentuation depending on hydrometer accuracy, with some really beautiful, typically Belgian ester action going on. Some banana, some bubblegum, etc.

Given that it's a monster attenuator, and it's cheap enough to double pitch if needed, I think this might be a goer to introduce some nice background flavour into a rum.... Or will it get lost among the molasses?

Any thoughts appreciated, and for those who do brew, I have a strong suspicion this is basically Belle Saison we are working with here
subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Saison Yeast in a Rum

Post by subbrew »

Building esters is the entire reason for dunder pits. So I would think getting additional esters from yeast, especially something complementary like banana would work great.

I assume your Saison was also created with LME which really surprises me you got that kind of attenuation. Never done a Saison but the few times I have used LME it definitely had more residual sugar than the equivalent recipe using all grain.
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

subbrew wrote:Building esters is the entire reason for dunder pits. So I would think getting additional esters from yeast, especially something complementary like banana would work great.

I assume your Saison was also created with LME which really surprises me you got that kind of attenuation. Never done a Saison but the few times I have used LME it definitely had more residual sugar than the equivalent recipe using all grain.
No mate it was all grain. Mostly Pilsner with a bit of Pale. I have to admit, I am not just the most attentive to mash temps, and also don't have any recirc facility so tend to go towards higher attenuation as my mash temps drift to the lower end of the scale. I dont mind as I like a drier finish generally anyway and mostly brew lagers.
tommysb
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by tommysb »

Saison yeasts are commonly diastatic, which explains the dryness.

https://byo.com/article/diastaticus/
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

tommysb wrote:Saison yeasts are commonly diastatic, which explains the dryness.

https://byo.com/article/diastaticus/
Yeah this one definitely is[emoji23]
Lights Out
Novice

Post by Lights Out »

Well I ordered the Saison Yeast, tomorrow I have time and space in my "brewery to get 2 x LME washes on which will mean my LME stash is gone and its full steam ahead on project Rum....

Getting all of this distilled is a problem which I am sure will sort itself out in due time, but this thread will be updated with the progress of Saison Yeast in a rum as and when...
matjans
Novice

Post by matjans »

Interested, please keep us posted.

I'm starting to experiment with brettanomyces as a finishing yeast for rum washes to get some additional flavors.
Sleighahh
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Sleighahh »

Not a rum and not a saison yeast but I recently did a sugarhead with a Mangrove Jack Belgian yeast (M31 or M41 - can't remember off the top of my head). Had the packets in the fridge and they had just expired so figured may as well use them on something. I think the yeast wasn't super-viable as it was slow to start and a bit of a sluggish ferment. Time and a little DAP helped it out though. Anyway, a little stress on this yeast and it's thrown a ton of fruity esters, really dominated by pineapple, very tropical.

Strong yeast esters + spent grain + sugarhead = not a lot of grain flavour but a really interesting spirit. I've never been a rum drinker but this yeast has made me think it could be something I could get in to. Especially these tropical flavours in a lighter rum would be great over summer.

Will be interesting to see how you get on with the saison strain.
matjans wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:16 am I'm starting to experiment with brettanomyces as a finishing yeast for rum washes to get some additional flavors.
I'd also be interested to know how you get on with this. I've used brett in beers in the past (including a 100% brett beer) and had it put out some awesome cherry-type esters. I'm thinking that could work well in a bourbon to help out that cherry note you sometimes get.

Sorry - not trying to derail the thread with non-rum talk!
rubberduck71
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rubberduck71 »

FWIW I've done apple ciders using Saison yeast. Also sampled the same from upstate NY cidery, and I can say they taste good. Not much experience with rum, but if flavor is what you're after, Saison will get you there.

I'd be interested to see a side-by-side comparison of same ferment with K1V yeast (description says: K1-V1116 yeast is the best yeast for fruit wine. It is a rapid starter with a constant and complete fermentation between 10° and 35°C (50° and 95°F), capable of surviving a number of difficult conditions, such as low nutrient musts and high levels of sulfur dioxide (SO2) or sugar)
There are two times of year: FOOTBALL SEASON and... Waiting For Football Season