Best vanilla ever-

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bavis54
Swill Maker

Best vanilla ever-

Post by Bavis54 »

Hey friends- I dunno how many out there use it- but vanilla beans have gotten outrageously expensive , 7-10 bucks each , when I can afford them I’ll cold smoke a couple and use one bean per 1/2 gal of honey bear , and even plain corn liquor. It adds a exquisite taste , and like the honey bear if it’s on good oak it’s even better. I found a really good deal on amazon other day- 10 grade A beans for 22.99- I thought it’s a typo or there not good quality - but I ordered anyway n they just came in today. They are the best beans I’ve ever had, by far. If anyone else out there uses vanilla beans try em- they are sold by vanilla products in Pennsylvania .
semper fi
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Re: Best vanilla ever-

Post by aircarbonarc »

I was curious to try making a ginger corn liqueur using honey bear bourbon as a base. Corn liquor and ginger ale get along so well together as it is. Let us know how it works with Vanilla and corn. Also nothing beats the flavor of oily vanilla beans
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Thanks for letting us know. I was kinda wary about them so I haven't ordered them until now. I'm gonna grab two, I absolutely love vanilla in my whiskey.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

Hey Bavis:
I’ve been doing a few diffrent liqueurs lately and have been making my own vanilla extract. I use grade B dried Madagascar beans. They are broken or otherwise not as pritty as the grade A vanilla beans. In my experience I’ve found no noticeable difference in the flavor being extracted. Here’s the best part. A 115 gram bag cost me 20 bucks on EBay. It was at least 50 beans. I just looked up prices. A 100 gram bag of B grade vanilla beans is now 30 bucks. Still a heck of a lot cheaper than grade A beans. Also the dried beans are more concentrated. Just thought I’d add this if someone wants to save some money.
JBC
JBC
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Even better. I had always dismissed them as the major rejects thinking it wouldn't be worth my time. Thanks for the heads up.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

I got a bag of ground powdered vanilla beans for $8 for 56 grams. Made some vanilla liquor a while back and had to put it all in a tea bag
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Bavis54
Swill Maker

Post by Bavis54 »

Thanks jelly bean- I was lookin for grade bs on amazon when I found these— if the dried b grades give good flavor they’ll do nicely.50 beans for 20 bucks is an even better deal- I gna look at that- I use vanilla in my honey bear, and I also add one bean per jar of plain corn/ barley liquor. I love the taste and how it smoothes out and finishes a good flavor. These I got other day are damn near gourmet grade- they are sticky and u can smell em a long ways off- the gum gets on ur fingers and it’s just fantastic- for 23 dollars I think it’s a misprint. I’m waiting on 2 more bags now
semper fi