Barrel pre-treatment

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

distiller_dresden
Trainee

Barrel pre-treatment

Post by distiller_dresden »

Hey board! I'm going to be getting my first two barrels - some BadMo barrels in this case.

I am using one for a double batch of rum, and I can't wait. I want to do a pre-treat on the barrel/wood, for some flavor punch. Wondering if anyone's ever 'pre-treated' their barrels? I plan on doing a scotch down the line with some Golden Promise malt and White Labs scotch whisky malt, for the other barrel, and I was going to put some sherry in that barrel beforehand. I would get maybe a 750 or two and then turn the barrel on it's face to cover the wood for the soak until I place the scotch into it.

What kinds of things/ideas are out there for rum pre-treatments? I guess I could use my favorite rum, or some funky rum like a good Forsyth's - I read about this one being divine with bananas and some stone fruit and custard and brine.
I read, I write, I still.
The must interstitial man no Earth.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Barrel pre-treatment

Post by WIski »

Do a first fill with a whiskey or bourbon for a year or more then do ya rum. YMMV
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Barrel pre-treatment

Post by Oldvine Zin »

It's a barrel - a wood transfer device -- my favorite rum was one I aged in a new barrel

OVZ