Looking for new oak barrel in canada

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Canadashine
Novice

Looking for new oak barrel in canada

Post by Canadashine »

Hello all. Im looking for a source for new oak barrels in canada. I would love to be able to get a gibbs brothers barrel but the shiping and Duty look like there going to be a little much. But if i cant find a source for a good barrel in Canada i guess ill have to bite the bullet and go with the Gibbs since what i have been readng on here there yhe best ones out there.
Any help would be really appreciate
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Re: Looking for new oak barrel in canada

Post by StillerBoy »

You may want to check out BochArt out of TO for oak barrels.. https://bochart.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

You might also check out DRM in Niagra. They primarily cater to industry but will sell to anyone.

https://www.drmrecoop.com

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by Canadashine »

Stillerboy do you have or know of anyone that has one of those barrels. Just wondering if the quality is good. Thx
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

No I have not bought one, or know of someone who has.. just aware that they are made in TO from researching on Kijiji for oak staves..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

I bought from north city growlers in Winnipeg and was very underwhelmed in terms of quality of construction.

There’s also http://www.canadianoak.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow but I’ve never ordered from them.
If I didn't learn the hard way, I wouldn't learn at all!
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

I got talking to the people at http://www.bochart.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow they only offer med char I was hoping to get heavy char. As for http://www.Canadianoak.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow $400 for a 19l barrel seems a little steep to me.
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

There's also https://thecountycooperage.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Windswept wrote:There's also https://thecountycooperage.ca/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Interesting article here which mentions both County cooperage (Ottawa area btw) and DRM recoop

https://www.brewersjournal.ca/2018/01/2 ... -coopering/

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

I talk to Joe from country Cooperage on the phone yesterday. He does not have new 5 gallon barrels but he does have once used 5 gallon barrels. He said by fall he will have new 5 gallon barrels as he is in the middle of renovating a new shop.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canadashine wrote:He does not have new 5 gallon barrels but he does have once used 5 gallon barrels.
Are those the 5g burbon barrels he's asking $200 for?

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

Expat wrote:
Canadashine wrote:He does not have new 5 gallon barrels but he does have once used 5 gallon barrels.

He told me$150 for the ones he has right now. Just not sure where else to get 5 gallon barrels on canada. Everyone i have contacted in the states are anywhere from 180usd to 300+ plus shipping and the Duty we will have to pay when it crosses the border. Anyone else have any better ideas of where to get one.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canadashine wrote:
Expat wrote:

He told me$150 for the ones he has right now. Just not sure where else to get 5 gallon barrels on canada. Everyone i have contacted in the states are anywhere from 180usd to 300+ plus shipping and the Duty we will have to pay when it crosses the border. Anyone else have any better ideas of where to get one.
$150 is a deal, I don't think you're going to do any better for a properly coopered 5G. I might grab one when i'm in the area in May, assuming he still has them.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

Expat wrote:
Canadashine wrote:
Expat wrote:

$150 is a deal, I don't think you're going to do any better for a properly coopered 5G. I might grab one when i'm in the area in May, assuming he still has them.

Yah i just waiting for a shipping quote from him. Not driving 8 hours to buy one or two barrels...lol
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canadashine wrote:
Yah i just waiting for a shipping quote from him. Not driving 8 hours to buy one or two barrels...lol
Curious to know where you ended up. Any update on the shipping costs?

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

Curious to know where you ended up. Any update on the shipping costs?[/quote]

The shipping cost for me is $40. I beleave the website is still showing the barrels at $200. If you contact Joe i believe you can get them for 150. He seem very knowledgeable about the barrels he is selling
Last edited by Canadashine on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scout
Bootlegger

Post by scout »

That is a very good price for cask. Nothing wrong with once used, there will still be plenty of flavonoids in the wood and you can (when you need to) remove the ends and recondition those.
I've seen casks that have been in use for over 300 years, they were for wine and when I saw them they had marks showing they had been reconditioned about 12 times over their life span.

Sherry casks are used by Scotch makers because they want the flavors of the sherry in their whisky.

I was recently persuaded to sell one of my 5 gal. casks and I charged the friend 250.00 for it, it had been used for a 6 month aging.

Keep in mind the amount of work to make a 5 gal., 10 gal., 30 gal. and so on is the same, the staves get longer and a bit wider but the amount of actual shaping work is the same, smaller has to be closer to perfect in every way.
bending to shape becomes harder the smaller the cask is.
Just a Cooper and Whisky Maker.
"We like visitors, that's why we live in a secluded cabin way out in the wilderness"
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Canadashine wrote:Curious to know where you ended up. Any update on the shipping costs?
The shipping cost for me is $40. I beleave the website is still showing the barrels at $200. If you contact Joe i believe you can get them for 150. He seem very knowledgeable about with the barrels he is selling[/quote]

Had a quick chat with Joe today, apparently in addition to the bourbon 5g they also have rye. Same price you mentioned. So if I can avoid the shipping by picking them up, I'll be getting one of each :)

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

Expat wrote:
Canadashine wrote:Curious to know where you ended up. Any update on the shipping costs?
The shipping cost for me is $40. I beleave the website is still showing the barrels at $200. If you contact Joe i believe you can get them for 150. He seem very knowledgeable about with the barrels he is selling
Had a quick chat with Joe today, apparently in addition to the bourbon 5g they also have rye. Same price you mentioned. So if I can avoid the shipping by picking them up, I'll be getting one of each :)[/quote]

The last time I talked to him he never mentioned rye barrels. Think ill be getting one of those. I like rye...lol. if you can find rye grains at this time of year
Windswept
Swill Maker

Post by Windswept »

Canadashine wrote:
Expat wrote:
The shipping cost for me is $40. I beleave the website is still showing the barrels at $200. If you contact Joe i believe you can get them for 150. He seem very knowledgeable about with the barrels he is selling
Had a quick chat with Joe today, apparently in addition to the bourbon 5g they also have rye. Same price you mentioned. So if I can avoid the shipping by picking them up, I'll be getting one of each :)
The last time I talked to him he never mentioned rye barrels. Think ill be getting one of those. I like rye...lol. if you can find rye grains at this time of year[/quote]

I bought two bags from Grain Process Enterprises at the beginning of March, 35$ per 50# bag
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Yah ive heard of that place. Just need to find some time to make it down there. Or find someone thats coming my way. Be nice to get some some bulk rye then i can get filling a barrel.
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Windswept wrote:I bought two bags from Grain Process Enterprises at the beginning of March, 35$ per 50# bag
On the rye, were they the kernels or the flakes, and organic or regular.. because I use the both in the regular at 25$ for the 50# bag..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
steelmb
Swill Maker

Post by steelmb »

StillerBoy wrote:
Windswept wrote:I bought two bags from Grain Process Enterprises at the beginning of March, 35$ per 50# bag
On the rye, were they the kernels or the flakes, and organic or regular.. because I use the both in the regular at 25$ for the 50# bag..

Mars
Wow, farmers are getting somewhere around $8.00 or less per bushel (56 pounds).
I believe MCH may have said it best. "It's your hooch, you get to choose."
Ding Dong
http://w.homedistiller.org/forum/viewto ... =7&t=66849
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

steelmb wrote:Wow, farmers are getting somewhere around $8.00 or less per bushel (56 pounds).
Middle man made the big buck, steelmb, what can we say.. the farmer does the work, the middle man pockets the money sitting behind the desk..

Mars

– Albert Einstein
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Well this thread is getting of topic..lol..
To get it back on topic. Joe at country copperage has 3 different types of used 5 gallon a wheat, barrel boubron barrel, and a rye barrel
Canadashine
Novice

Post by Canadashine »

Got my used barrel today. Its a barrel mill barrel. Looks great and smells good to. Had a look inside qith a flashlight and its a very heavy char id say alligator char and both ends are chard. Took about 8 hour to seal up only one leak on the head. Going to put my uj in it and by time its done i should have enough rye made up to put it in. If your in the Ontario area and looking for a barrel i would definitely get ahold of Joe from country Cooperage
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Picked up a pair of barrels.

Rye sitting on top of a bourbon barrel. Smell inside is amazing.

The rye seems to be fractionally smaller, both are in good condition.
rps20190512_213831.jpg

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

Expat wrote:Picked up a pair of barrels.

Rye sitting on top of a bourbon barrel. Smell inside is amazing.

The rye seems to be fractionally smaller, both are in good condition.
rps20190512_213831.jpg
Now you just need to fill them..lol
Ive had my uj in the barrel now for a month in the shed. Im going to test it after 3 months and see how it is. And yes you are right the smell from these barrels are amazing.
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

Actually it's more about what to fill them with :)

I've got enough AG on hand to fill one and a half barrels, and enough UJ and Rum to fill 4 barrels or so lol.

I think I'll go with by barely/rye AG in the rye barrel. And make a few more batches of corn/barely/rye to fill the bourbon barrel.

Cross flow condenser

Post by Canadashine »

I wish I had that problem...lol