Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Re: Nuclear Whiskey / Nuclear Rum and Spirits Rapid Ageing

Post by Honest_Liberty »

just my "just enough knowledge to be dangerous" opinion.

Although fear works wonders, I still did the microwave Nuclear aging. However, I recall my buddy talking to me about a study they did on water fed to plants that was microwaved vs non-microwaved. The plants did appreciably worse with microwaved water. I never got access to that study to verify their control methods or procedures.

On top of that, new house, new shitty microwave (nothing like dropping 4k on a full kitchen suite and moving two years later to shittier appliances), won't fit standard quart jars. too short.

SO, I have resigned myself to stove top heating. This is how I do it:

make blends. add to Gallon jug. add oak of choice. put on cap and place in 1 -2 gallon pot. Turn on kitchen sink faucet slowly turning up to full hot over 30 seconds. let it fill up 1- 2 gallon pot and when its full heat, turn off water and transport over to stove top.

turn on stove top at 65% power. let it run up for about 10 minutes or until water on edges is uncomfortable and I see visible steam inside gallon jug.
Turn off heat source. Let it sit 25 minutes.

remove jug to table.
Then in winter I put in garage in the next morning.
next evening repeat process.

3-4x will be what I'm going for and then I'll let the oak sit for who knows how long. here is just 20-25 minutes of that heating up process on fresh, toasted at 380F Burr Oak heartwood seasoned less than a year (that could be troubling)

BTW, my current thought processes are as such: I've read a ton on here, so much it hurts. Then I forget what I've read and can't find the sections I wanted 13 pages deep becuase I didn't bookmark. So I resort to old school technology:

Liquor + wood = booze. and there you have it. inconsistent, half ass material making redneckery. Once my house and brew room is finished I'll start adhering to the scientific method but for now... whatever.
Attachments
concord20min.gif
Last edited by Honest_Liberty on Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sweetfeed 100 proof for drinking white
All grain bourbon for testing my patience
Whatever else is left goes to the Homefree, because, I hate waste
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

update: 10 minutes later the color is identical to untrained eye as the bottle of Maker's I have sitting here. probably too much wood, whatever.

bad photo I know. Actually, it is already darker, but it is at 60%... either way, I removed half the oak. This is the softest flavor I've produced yet so I have some hope for this Burr Oak.
Attachments
MakersVSBurrOak.gif
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

This is interesting. I'm curious to see how this turns out - from what I've read, there's something about the microwave energy that aids the process but your results seem good so far.
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

I can see that being possible, maybe on a level that the radiation excites the alcohol molecules? I dunno.

My thoughts is that this is a more "natural" method of rapid aging because it's only heat transfer, like being out in the garage and then freezer. No radiation necessary
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I haven't nuked anything for a very long time.
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=55301
raptor402
Novice

Post by raptor402 »

I cant stop ...making this stuff.....so good,,,,so easy,,,,the taste is smooth,,
im at 5 quarts so far,,,

raptor 402
DSmith78
Swill Maker

Post by DSmith78 »

Well this was my first dive into the pool of nuclear ageing and I am very impressed! This is the result of three, two minute cycles on toasted/charred Oak and cherry chips. Very good drinking! Still too harsh to be confused with a well aged spirit but almost unbelievable to think it came off the still 24 hours ago.
IMG_20190310_164822_crop_640x800.jpg
There are three types of people in this world - those who can do maths and those who cannot.
Cu29er
Bootlegger

Post by Cu29er »

Be safe on the stove -- make sure to use a double boiler (water pot with the jug inside, consider something under the jug in the pot so the glass is surrounded by water). When cooling down, use the lid to create a slight vacuum (speeds transfer in/out of the wood).

Maybe call this boil method "Making Whiskey Tea"

Honest_Liberty
Rumrunner

Post by Honest_Liberty »

Cu29er wrote:.

Be safe on the stove -- make sure to use a double boiler (water pot with the jug inside, consider something under the jug in the pot so the glass is surrounded by water). When cooling down, use the lid to create a slight vacuum (speeds transfer in/out of the wood).

Maybe call this boil method "Making Whiskey Tea"

This is the method I'm using
ChillinNdistillin
Novice

Post by ChillinNdistillin »

ive tried this myself and had great results,i heated at 30 second intervals.let cool in the freezer
coalcracker
Novice

Post by coalcracker »

Giving this a try this weekend!

1000 posts!
Hellbilly13
Novice

Post by Hellbilly13 »

I just had to chime in w/ my good results on this. UJSSM style using chicken scratch (wheat, barley, corn, no additives or preservatives). One liter of conservative cut @ 64%, about a 3 inch piece of med+ white oak spiral. 4 cycles in the mic up to 150 and cooled on the counter.

I was not impressed at first, but after 5 days w/ the oak still in the jar it was very good. After another week, I'm very happy with the results. If nothing else, it let me know that I was too conservative with my cuts. It's too smooth at 90 proof!
Hellbilly13
Novice

Post by Hellbilly13 »

Apologies for the ad; I got a new phone and didn't realize it reset my signature
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

What ad? :wink:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

And what IS an ad?
I have only known it to be short for Advertisement but there seems to be something different here...

Geoff
The Baker
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I think Hellbilly13 thought he had one of those auto ad attachment on his phone...I won't say what they are, but they really piss our mods off...things like "Tapa-dick" and "moldy-balls"
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Hellbilly13
Novice

Post by Hellbilly13 »

I guess it removed it from my first post? It was definitely there when I posted.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

Hellbilly13 wrote:I guess it removed it from my first post? It was definitely there when I posted.
Yes. Your welcome.

Jees. Thought you would have realized I was being slick. :roll:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

Enough let's get back on topic. :roll:
monkey shine
Novice

Post by monkey shine »

Let start off with I'm no expert but like to experiment and like to know the mechanisms of what's going on. So, correct me if I am wrong. The "nuclear method" is more than likely increasing the esterification reaction that would normally take place over the years in the barrel. Esters are those wonderful aromatics that happen when alcohol and acid have a chance to combine. Not to mention the non-desirable volatiles that are vaping off from the extra heat which as you know happen over time in the barrel.

If wood is introduced, like it's been said before, the vacuum that is created when capped and cooled is forcing the product into the air space void in the wood and then expelled when seal is broken.

I have been using vacuum with chips for awhile without the heat. The last batch I heated using nature (though not to 150), the flavors and color came across much quicker than without the heat. I'll continue with the heat process.

Aloha from Hawaii
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

monkey shine wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:57 am The "nuclear method" is more than likely increasing the esterification reaction that would normally take place over the years in the barrel. Esters are those wonderful aromatics that happen when alcohol and acid have a chance to combine.
Nope. :? The method is mostly to increase the extraction of some oaky stuff (it's only a 1st "phase" of aging). Not oxidation that would be highly required for all those esters' production (2nd "phase").

har druckit för mycket
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

VLAGAVULVIN wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:57 pm Nope. :? The method is mostly to increase the extraction of some oaky stuff (it's only a 1st "phase" of aging). Not oxidation that would be highly required for all those esters' production (2nd "phase").
Would oxidation be fastened by using an aereator like those that are in use for beer (pump and stone)?

If aging has three dimensions: wood, oxygen, and attrition between molecules, could one use:

nuclear aging for the extraction of wood aromatic components, as shown in this thread;
ultrasonic agitation for the mechanical effect of complex molecules crashing against each other and breaking into different substances, as mentioned in this thread;
oxygenation with pump and stone (or even with pure oxygen, as some does in the homebrewing world) for the oxidation effect.

This is an example of an oxygenator with pump and stone: a pump pumps air into a microfilter to block microbs (important in beermaking) and then into a SS "stone" which has 0,5 micron holes. This is a common way to increase oxygen content in the wort in order to favour yeast activity (this is important in all-grain homebrewing because the 60-90 minutes boiling deprives the wort of oxygen).

Just my 2 cents.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Birrofilo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 am Would oxidation be fastened by using an aereator like those that are in use for beer (pump and stone)?
It definitely would. But not in 5 minutes, anyways.

Birrofilo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:30 am If aging has three dimensions: wood, oxygen, and attrition between molecules, could one use:

nuclear aging for the extraction of wood aromatic components, as shown in this thread;
ultrasonic agitation for the mechanical effect of complex molecules crashing against each other and breaking into different substances, as mentioned in this thread;
oxygenation with pump and stone (or even with pure oxygen, as some does in the homebrewing world) for the oxidation effect.

This is an example of an oxygenator with pump and stone: a pump pumps air into a microfilter to block microbs (important in beermaking) and then into a SS "stone" which has 0,5 micron holes. This is a common way to increase oxygen content in the wort in order to favour yeast activity (this is important in all-grain homebrewing because the 60-90 minutes boiling deprives the wort of oxygen).
Cannibal's torch, microwaves, induction, water bath, traditional oven with finely adjusted thermostate... to be honest, I see no difference between ways of heating to warm the distillate up to 140-160F: the last 2 are safe and comfortable, at least.

There's a company (or even 2-3 companies now?) in the US that tries to act in the way you mentioned on a commercial basis and scale but... the "special" people say it's like comparing the natural diamonds (say, the Scotch) to their artificial copies (i.e. the "accelerated" ones). Good nosing, bad mouthfeel...

But I like your train of thought :wink:

har druckit för mycket
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

@VLAGAVULVIN

Wort aeration is normally performed for 30 minutes, with that pump, for a typical 23 litres wort. In forced aging, the process might be repeated from time to time.

Yes artificial diamond are not as good as natural diamond, but I wouldn't tell the difference, and artificial diamond are better than plastic diamonds in any case, so if there is an improvement in quality it's worth the little work.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Birrofilo wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:48 am Wort aeration is normally performed for 30 minutes, with that pump, for a typical 23 litres wort. In forced aging, the process might be repeated from time to time.
I do aerate my distillates, man... say, every 2 months, time and again... and you know what? My permanent aeration would probably allow me to replace a wooden cask to a glass carboy with some staves in it. But still it cannae help me to cheat the common time of aging, alas... Thus, I have a calvados that has been aerated since 2016. It should sit some more (indefinite) time in its carboy. And I have kinda all-grain distillate that was funky and shitty in 2015... and which becomes fine with no aeration at all.

har druckit för mycket
Birrofilo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Birrofilo »

@VLAGAVULVIN

Did you try the ultrasonic cleaner trick after the aeration?
Maybe if you shake and crash the molecules against each other when the spirit is full of oxygen, you will obtain the chemical reactions that you desire (or a bit more of them).

If you aerate without "shaking", the oxygen will evaporate without giving it much chance to interact chemically, and the process will be as slow as in a cask.
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

I did not try the ultrasonic. May only guess that it speeds up the process when the cleaner is on. So, if I use it 2 hours daily, the total time required for aging would be reduced by 8%...

To keep a higher concentration of gas in a liquid I should make a higher pressure above it. Canned coke, bottled beer and so forth, this kind of stuff, ehm?

The last notice... using the ultrasonic cleaner will kick the air out of any liquid much faster, imo. And boiling is the best shaker and crasher for the molecules... that to remove both oxigen and spirit outta my whiskey at all :cry:

har druckit för mycket
Hermanji
Novice

Post by Hermanji »

So I’ve been reading this thread for a while and I’ve barely scratched the surface. What I’d like to know is... has anyone blown up in the last 6 years?

I’m gonna try this now! [emoji16]
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

Nope...
VLAGAVULVIN
Distiller

Post by VLAGAVULVIN »

Don't become a pioneer...