Oats for “Mouth feel”

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

subbrew
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Oats for “Mouth feel”

Post by subbrew »

thecroweater wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:59 am Oat whiskey is smooth as silk, guess you could call it mouth feel. Grist oat berries are a ship ton easier to work with than rolled oats as rolled oats cooked to porridge, if you are step mashing you can do a good glucanase rest but without hulls it is still a bit of a nightmare. This is not something I've read but knowledge gained from bitter experience, now if it is a mixed grain bill it will be less of an issue and if you are using some oat berries the inclusion of rolled oats will be mobs easier to work with. The inclusion of oats in a bill is very worthwhile, can smooth out a lot of bills and can just about eliminate the dreaded sugar bite. I have not worked with oat flour but the thought does sent shudders down my spine, reckon I'd try a bit in a stock pot before I went all out on that idea.
Have you tried whole oats, with hulls, either run through a burr mill or a roller mill? I would think a burr mill sat rather loose would tear the husks enough and break up the oats enough to allow them to mash but still prevent the porridge of rolled oats
thecroweater
retired

Re: Oats for “Mouth feel”

Post by thecroweater »

Yeah I use whole oat berries, grist them with the hulls and all. It helps a lot with pressing, mine are grist in a bigger commercial coffee grinder set cause
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin