Ebay barrels

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

IdahoMole
Novice

Ebay barrels

Post by IdahoMole »

There is a guy out of texas selling barrels on ebay. He gets em out of mexico. I bought a 5L last week and, after shipping, saved about $20. Was expecting it yesterday but to no avail so I can't elaborate on it, however some here may want to check it out. I give an update when I get it, or when I don't for that matter! :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tsupported" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mole
Where's that confounded bridge?
Hawke
retired

Re: Ebay barrels

Post by Hawke »

A lot of the Mexican barrels I've seen and heard of are more for decoration than anything else. Look for varnish and/or paint on the inside. Fill with water and soak in a tub for 24 hours, if it still leaks, it will never hold alcohol.
It is the very things that we think we know, that keep us from learning what we should know.
Valved Reflux, 3"x54" Bok 'mini', 2 liebig based pots and the 'Blockhead' 60K btu propane heat
IdahoMole
Novice

Post by IdahoMole »

Well I FINALLY got my barrel and I was less than impressed. The guy took forever to ship it. The interior was fully charred so no VISIBLE signs of varnish etc but the ends were sealed with wax :cry: . The bands look like they were made by a kindergardener. It does however hold liquid, for now. When I contacted the seller to tell him I would be returning the barrel he said don't bother and he will send me another one. So the only thing I can say is I got 2 for 1. CONCLUSION: Stay away from "5 star jeweler" and his ebay barrels. For a little more money you can get a much better barrel.

Mole
zymos
Swill Maker

Post by zymos »

Hawke wrote: Fill with water and soak in a tub for 24 hours, if it still leaks, it will never hold alcohol.
A truly dessicated barrel can take many days to swell up, yet still eventually tighten up just fine...
violentblue
Rumrunner

Post by violentblue »

I got a 5 gallon barrel from A&J Whiskey barrels very nice quality, now aging my rum.
on another post I saw someone bought some smaller used barrels, from by a small distillery on ebay. I've contacted them, and they look promising, If you want Used instead of new.
personally I'd like to get a couple 2 gallon used bourbon barrels.
IdahoMole
Novice

Post by IdahoMole »

UPDATE: I received a replacement barrel for the crappy one I originally received and let me say it is a thousand times better. Better wood, better craftmanship, better banding, just better. I was pissed off at this guy but after getting the second barrel I would consider getting another one in the future. I say check him out for an inexpensive option the next time you are in the market for a barrel.

Mole