Pernod / Ouzo

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Captain Morgan
Novice

Pernod / Ouzo

Post by Captain Morgan »

Well I'm not usually one for essences, I have found Prestige Pastis to be FANTASTIC! This one is absolutely wonderful in a world of crappy flavours :)
If you love Pernod or Ouzo etc, give it a go. It may well be better than one can do at home (no offence to those who can) This stuff is as close to Pernod as you're likely to find IMHO

http://www.schnapsonline.com/shop/engli ... 45914.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cheers
Duct tape is like "The Force". There is a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.....
adama_bill
Novice

Re: Pernod / Ouzo

Post by adama_bill »

Is that: Prestige Essence ~ Yellow Fren Pastis?
Captain Morgan
Novice

Post by Captain Morgan »

Hey there.

Its as pictured here: http://www.liqueurweb.com/images/pastis.gif" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

On the bottle it is called:

The Original Prestige

FRANSK APERITIF

PASTIS.
ESSENS

Its bright yellow so its probably the one you're talking about.

It says to mix it with 23grams of sugar. I actually mix it with Splenda (artificial sweetener) and I cant tell the difference.

Its a great drink especially with coke.

Cheers
Duct tape is like "The Force". There is a light side, a dark side and it holds the universe together.....
olddog
retired

Post by olddog »

Have you tried macerating some star anise in some neutral :?:
OLD DOG LEARNING NEW TRICKS ......
Captain Morgan
Novice

Post by Captain Morgan »

Hey Olddog!

No, I havent. But I have always meant to. I'll give it a shot :D

Cheers!
gingercat
Novice

Post by gingercat »

I've just tried this myself and have to agree - Its really close in flavour to ouzo and it even goes cloudy when you mix water with it. I used sugromax which is a liquid sweetener.

I've tried using star anice in neutral spirit but it came out pretty awful in my opinion. You can't get the cloudy effect if you mascerate anice seed or star anice in spirit
frozenthunderbolt
Distiller

Post by frozenthunderbolt »

gingercat wrote:I've just tried this myself and have to agree - Its really close in flavour to ouzo and it even goes cloudy when you mix water with it. I used sugromax which is a liquid sweetener.

I've tried using star anice in neutral spirit but it came out pretty awful in my opinion. You can't get the cloudy effect if you mascerate anice seed or star anice in spirit
you can and will get a louche with a higher proof maceration of Green anise and fenill. Star anise is very second rate for this purpose.
Where has all the rum gone? . . .

Every new member should read this before doing anything else: