Bubble stone possible disaster!

Treatment and handling of your distillate.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Backwoods
Novice

Bubble stone possible disaster!

Post by Backwoods »

I made myself about 3/4 gal. of rum and was trying to speed age it a bit. I have my rum in a one gallon glass jug, and I cut a piece of white oak that fit through the mouth of the bottle and was long enough not to fall in. I then ran a tube with a bubble stone (the kind used in a fish tank) down into the bottle and set the whole thing up on a 30 degree slant. The idea was that the bubbles would rise up into the wood forcing it to constantly be drying out and absorbing (the slant of the bottle just kept the bubbles in contact with the wood longer). Problem is after about 4 days the bubble stone fell into pieces, I don't know if this is because of the 110 proof alchohol it was soaking in, or because of the vibration between it and the wood. Kinda sucks because it was starting to get some good color going and was smelling awesome, but if I need to re-distill it so be it. I would appreciate any input on this subject you guys can give me!
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

throw it away do search on this sight bubble stones been covered before
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper

Re: Bubble stone possible disaster!

Post by Guest »

Backwoods wrote: I would appreciate any input on this subject you guys can give me!

Next time try putting the air hose into a handfull of copper scrubber, and use that instead of the airstone. The kind of airstones used for fish tanks are usually held together by an adhesive that alcohol breaks down. But like tater said, this has been covered before.....

~Pothead
Fourway
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Fourway »

there is a type of stainless steel bubble stone but they cost some.
"a woman who drives you to drink is hard to find, most of them will make you drive yourself."
anon--
Backwoods
Novice

Post by Backwoods »

Yeah I figured it was something along those lines, and i thought i had heard the bubble stone argument before so that's why i asked to double check. Appreciate it boys thanks.
"Shot who in the what now?" -Jasper
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

yep

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Beer Beer and More Beer sells the stainless steel bubble stones...

i wouldnt trust the other kind, seems to me they are probably stuck together with some type of adhesive which is probably what the alcohol disrupted.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
allen42
Bootlegger

Post by allen42 »

there is also a stone that is made of very pourus (sp) wood , it is just a peive of wood that you connect a hose too, BUT since they do sell SS bubblers at the brew shops THAT is prolly best !!